Full moon brings games and snacks

Students+crowd+around+a+campfire+at+the+East+Lagoon.+On+Tuesday%2C+the+Recreation+Center+hosted+an+outdoor+celebration+for+students+which+included+kayaking%2C+canoeing+and+s%E2%80%99mores.+%28+Zahra+Yousif+%7C+Northern+Star%29+
Zahra Yousif
Students crowd around a campfire at the East Lagoon. On Tuesday, the Recreation Center hosted an outdoor celebration for students which included kayaking, canoeing and s’mores. ( Zahra Yousif | Northern Star)

DeKALB – At 8 p.m. Tuesday at the East Lagoon, NIU Recreation held its Full Moon Lagoon Fest.

For $10, participants were able to enjoy games and activities such as volleyball, corn hole, making s’mores and going kayaking or canoeing under the full moon.

Kraylin Williams, a sophomore finance major and leader and overseer for the event, talked about Lagoon Fest. 

“Right now we’re doing a full moon lagoon paddle. We’re getting people on the East Lagoon with canoes, double kayaks and kayaks,” Williams said. “Right now we have fire pits for our s’mores, keep us warm because it’s chilly out right now, we have a couple of games going, hot chocolate. It really is about having a good time with friends.”

To go kayaking, participants had to sign a waiver and then the staff, who are all first responder trained, would provide life jackets. Participants could choose whether they wanted a canoe or kayak and afterward they were ready to set sail.

Anna Harvey, a first year health sciences major, said this is the second time she’s been to the East Lagoon.

“To start off at the beginning of the year, my friends and I came out and we had fun. It was a full moon event. And it was probably my favorite week of school. So when I heard about this again, I was like, you can’t miss out,” Harvey said. “We did a double canoe. Super fun.” 

Michael Giaimo, a senior geology major, said the night was good for spending time with friends. 

“My friends were wanting to go tonight, and I just thought it’d be really fun. I’ve gone once before, but never at night,” Giaimo said.

The event was a time where people could get together under the moonlight, go out on the lagoon, meet people, sit by the campfire and eat s’mores.