Student Government Association to address the student body

A cartoon person stands addressing people. On Friday, the Student Government Association will host the State of The Student Government Association. (Northern Star graphic)

DeKALB – The Student Government Association will give the State of Student Government Address on Friday to update students on their progress from the spring 2024 semester.

At noon in the Holmes Student Center Capitol Room, SGA leaders  President Olivia Newman and Speaker Cole Hensley will update the student body on what SGA has spent the spring semester doing.  

The address will go over what has been accomplished and what projects they have worked on. Students are also allowed to ask questions and express concerns. 

This will be the last address for some of the current SGA leadership as they are graduating and the new leadership has been elected.

SGA first announced the address on April 12 through an email from Huskie Hub when also announcing their special election. They have not released result of the election yet.

“Join us for the ‘State of Student Government Address’ as student leaders provide updates and share achievements,” the email said. 

The last SGA address was Feb. 5. They did not advertise the event until the day before, and no one was in attendance. The address lasted 8 minutes and 35 seconds. 

The address Friday is planned to last until 1 p.m.

The SGA senate meets at 2 p.m. every Friday and the student body is able to attend. 

Last week, the senate voted against supporting the petition for an Indigenous Resource Center at NIU. 

The SGA director of organization development and elected vice president, James Innis, had a goal to approve 50 student organizations this year and at the last address they were at 22 approved.

SGA’s bylaws require the president to address the student body at some point during the semester about the state of the student government and about student interest.

SGA posted on their Instagram advertising Friday’s address.