SGA senate fails to support indigenous resource center petition

Three people stand a podiums gesturing and speaking. SGA on Friday voted against supporting the Indigenous Resource Center petition and Senator Demetri Anastopoulos was dismissed from the senate. (Northern Star graphic)

DeKALB – At Friday’s Student Government Association senate meeting, the senate failed to support a petition for the founding of an indigenous resource center, while Senator Demetri Anastopoulos was dismissed from the senate.

SGA SENATE FAILS TO SUPPORT PETITION FOR AN INDIGENOUS RESOURCE CENTER

The First Nations Native Alliance has been pushing for support for an indigenous resource center by garnering over 1,000 signatures for its petition and making public comments at SGA senate meetings.

After its first reading on April 12, the SGA senate voted on the decision to support the founding of an indigenous resource center.

Prior to the vote, Deputy Speaker Chris English said the SGA senate has failed twice over the past two years to support large student petitions. One for a statement regarding the Israel-Hamas war and another for Black student grievances. He did not want this one to be the third.

“Every single time, the senate voted them down,” English said. “This is supposed to be a senate body, that is the voice of the students. However, when we are brought a petition by students, we vote them down. Now, that shouldn’t happen.”

The petition failed to be supported by a vote count of 5-8-0.

SENATOR ANASTOPOULOS DISMISSED

Prior to the start of the SGA’s senate meeting, it could be seen that Senator Anastopoulos was in a heated argument with Speaker Cole Hensley. Anastopoulos stormed out of the Holmes Student Center Sky Room before the roll call of senators began.

Speaker Hensley would announce to the senate that Anastopoulos was dismissed due to his five unexcused absences from senate meetings.

SGA FAILS TO PASS BILL TO REGULATE SUPREME COURT APPOINTMENTS

After its final reading last Friday, bill SR 55049, which would not allow the approval of a Supreme Court justice by the senate at least one month prior to an SGA election, failed.

The bill needed at least 10 votes, or two-thirds of the senate’s vote, in order to pass. 

The bill failed by a vote count of 8-2-3.

SGA FAILS TO PASS BILL TO CLARIFY SELECTION CRITERIA OF SUPREME COURT JUSTICES

The bill, SR 55050, which would prohibit the appointment or approval of Supreme Court justices who could cause a majority among justices of the same student organizations, failed.

The bill needed at least two-thirds of the senate’s vote in order to pass. The bill received a vote count of 8-5-0.

SGA PASSES BILL TO UPDATE CAMPAIGNING REGULATIONS

In the wake of this year’s SGA elections, the SGA senate has applied new regulations through its newest bill.

Some candidates were seen handing out QR codes attached to campaign materials. These codes are no longer allowed as campaign materials can no longer directly link to methods of voting.

Candidates are also not allowed to campaign within academic buildings unless they are following appropriate tabling policies.

“This is just to ensure that no one is going up and down the halls of any of the actual academic buildings and saying, ‘Hey, go vote for this person,’ as it could actually become distracting to students,” Sergeant-At-Arms Nikolas Bereolos said.

Additionally, candidates during this last election could be seen handing out candy, like Jolly Ranchers, to voters. This is no longer allowed as the new regulations ensure no items may be given out to potential voters.

SGA RECOGNIZES THREE NEW STUDENT ORGANIZATIONS

The following student organizations received recognition from the SGA senate: the Graduate Student Association, the Black Student Nurses Organization and the Royal Khaos Dance Team.

SGA senate meetings are open to the public and held at 2 p.m. on Fridays, with locations posted in the senate’s agendas. SGA minutes and intent-to-speak forms are available on Huskie Hub.