First Nations Native Alliance push for SGA sponsorship

Three people stand and gesture while talking at podiums. The SGA passed a new bill, listened to public comments and recognized new student organizations at their meeting Friday. (Northern Star graphic)

DeKALB – The First Nations Native Alliance provided public comment at the Student Government Association’s Senate meeting, pushing for a sponsorship from the SGA for their petition for an Indigenous Resource Center.

“A land acknowledgement is not enough,”said Sky Boniecki, a sophomore environmental justice major and member of the First Nations Native Alliance. “Preaching diversity, equity and inclusion is not enough. Saying words is not enough. There needs to be structured action taken.”

Boniecki warned the SGA to not repeat similar actions the group took, such as the rejection of a statement in regard to the Israel-Hamas war and the failure to approve a petition outlining grievances Black students had on campus.

The First Nations Native Alliance currently has over 1,000 signatures on its petition for an Indigenous Resource Center and will present the petition to the Board of Trustees on March 21 to try to continue to garner support.

“I would like to thank the Indigenous people for coming out and speaking for their petition,” Senator Matt Robinson said. “That is why we are here; we are here to help somebody and I really appreciate you taking your time to come out here.”

DECREASED TIME FOR ORGANIZATIONS TO RECEIVE FUNDING

After passing 12-0-0, the passing of Bill 55017 will allow student organizations to wait a semester after being recognized to receive funding.

Prior to the passage of Bill 55017, student organizations were required to wait one year after being recognized before they could receive funding from the SGA.

“Deputy Speaker (Chris) English worked with Alex Pitner and they discussed how one year is too long for organizations,” Speaker Cole Hensley said. “So if an org. under this new bill will get recognition in August, they would be able to apply for funding in March-April.”

NEW STUDENT ORGANIZATIONS RECOGNIZED

The following student organizations were all recognized by the SGA at Friday’s meeting: Circus Skills Enthusiasts Club, College of Education-Student Academic Equity Committee, Historia Artis at NIU, and Students for Justice in Palestine.

SGA meetings are open to the public and held at 2 p.m. Fridays with locations posted in the senate’s agendas. SGA minutes and intent to speak forms are available on Huskie Hub.