Ceremony honors minority graduates

By Linda Warchal

About 30 students turned out Thursday night for a graduation ceremony honoring NIU’s minority graduates.

The event was intended to recognize the achievement of NIU’s minority students, said LaTonia Hutson, member of the Organization for Black Business Students and coordinator for the ceremony.

But only two members of the audience were minorities other than black.

OBBS funded the event and was the only organization involved in the planning. “We did not need the help of other organizations,” said OBBS President Andria Davis.

“It’s solely our project but it’s open to all minorities,” Davis said Wednesday.

Bob Cordero, former president of NIU’s Latino fraternity, Alpha Psi Lambda, said he was not informed of the event.

Because Cordero is graduating this semester, he should have received an invitation.

He added that NIU’s Hispanic community also does a lot for the campus.

Jorge Fonseca, former president of the Organization of Latin American Students, said he read about the event in The Northern Star, but was not otherwise contacted.

“I don’t look at it negatively but when you speak of minorities, you should look into all the minority organizations on campus,” Fonseca said. “It almost defeats the purpose.”

The graduates received black, red and green tassles to wear. “The colors are to symbolize black heritage. The black and green go back in African history,” Davis said.

Vice President for Student Affairs Barbara Henley was among the speakers.

There were also fliers to announce the event.

However, the posters announced NIU’s “First annual black graduation ceremony” and read, “Come out and congratulate the NIU Black Graduating Class of 1991.”

Still, Fonseca said he sees potential for the event. Because this is the first time the event took place, people should give it a try. But “There’s always room for improvement,” he said.