Street Interviews: Goose attack

Jatavion Young, a sophomore middle level teaching major, responds to a street interviews prompt. What’s your plan if a goose attacks? (Northern Star Graphic)

As spring falls upon campus, the sun isn’t the only thing rising this season. Watch out, as the sidewalks are their runways, and every passerby could be the star of their next honking attack!

I’m referring to the feathered celebrity of the Midwest, none other than the Canadian Goose.

It’s mating season for our geese friends, and love is in the air! Little yellow seedlings are sprouting around the lagoon and helping us reminisce about the beautiful, happy love stories of our feathery friends!

Haha, just kidding. It’s less of a love story and more of a ‘love at your own risk’ scenario. These geese aren’t just defending their nests and babies; they’re on a mission to defend their honor, their future goslings, and, let’s be honest, their right to chase us straight to Hell and back!

The goose is NIU’s unofficial second mascot, while charming, have extended their presence in more ways than one, becoming a familiar fixture on campus.

They can be unpredictable, inconspicuous and all-out-scary when they extend their wings. It is enough to activate our fight-or-flight modes. We will have no choice, in most cases, to resort to fighting if we are cornered among several of these infamous geese.

What actions might you take if you found yourself confined alongside these birds?