Environmental rally honors Earth Day

By Sabryna Cornish

Music, speakers and sunshine highlighted a rally Monday in honor of the 21st Earth Day.

About 150 people showed up at the event which began at noon in the King Memorial Commons.

Many environmental groups were at the rally to remind people what Earth Day is about.

“Environmental disaster is caused by inhuman relations of production by capitalism,” said Tom Rainey, NIU alumnus and member of the Marxist Humanist Forum.

“Marxist humanism has always been concerned about the environment,” he said.

The environmental rally featured a band, Euphoria, and a 6-foot tall replica of the earth that was rolling around the Commons.

Members of the Student Environmental Action Coalition (SEAC) cleaned up the West Lagoon after the rally.

“Environmentalism isn’t just a fad,” said Michael Kizman, president of SEAC. “It’s something we have to do.”

Kizman also recommended that people “precycle” things when they shop. “Precycling is buying products you know you can recycle,” he said.

Nearby, a glider in front of the Founders Memorial Library was displayed as a part of Earth Day/Springfest.

The glider was part of the Aim High Club, a Student Association-recognized club that just formed this year.

The club is designed for people who are interested in aerospace science, said Marc Mar-Yohana, Aim High president.

Mar-Yohana said they will “try to do some flying in the summer and the fall.”

The Aim High club will be participating in a research and development project, he said.

“We’re going to try to design and manufacture a glider,” Mar-Yohana said.

There was a raffle sponsored by the Campus Activities Board and food from the Pow Wow was sold outside of the Holmes Student Center.