Springfest celebration underway

By Linda Warchal

Springfest 1991 is underway.

The week-long celebration is about speakers, environmental events, music, games, contests, food and fun.

“In the past, it’s been a successful event. I’m anticipating good attendance,” said Pete Adrian, coordinator of Springfest for the Campus Activities Board.

The annual celebration for the fest began in the early 1900s and, since 1974, has been called Springfest. The funding for Springfest is provided by CAB with a Student Association-allocated budget.

Taste of NIU kicked off Springfest, sponsored by CAB, at the West Lagoon on April 21 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Now that the week has begun, the festivities have moved toward the center of campus with noon bands playing as well as speakers and other events, including student organizations with informational booths.

Today from noon to 12:30 p.m., the rock band Euphoria will play in the King Memorial Commons. Following the band, there is an environmental rally where members from NIU environmental organizations will speak.

The festivities are rolling right along come Tuesday when The Renfields play in the commons from noon until 1 p.m.

At 9 p.m., there will be an outdoor showing of the Disney movie “Fantasia.”

Wednesday’s noontime entertainment, the NIU Steel Drum Band, will play in the Pow Wow snackbar until 1 p.m.

Peter Burtchell from the Cousteau Society will have a slide presentation and a discussion of environmental issues at 7 p.m. in the Carl Sandburg Auditorium, cosponsored by Student Environmental Action Coalition.

Who’s This Mary? will play on Thursday at noon until 1 p.m. in the commons. Later, from 4:30 p.m. until 5:30 p.m., June Bug Massacre will play in the Pow Wow.

Students can play Nintendo games Thursday and try to win the Nintendo Campus Challenge in the parking lot west of Founder’s Memorial Library, sponsored by Nintendo and Geo.

The Nintendo Campus Challenge is from 9 a.m. until 3 p.m. on both Thursday and Friday.

One winner will receive an all-expense paid trip to Disneyland in Florida to play against 49 finalists from other campuses for the grand prize, a Geo car.

For students who are not Nintendo junkies, there will be Geo GMAC cars available for test drives.

Geo will offer prizes including T-shirts and compact discs.

NIU students should not miss the chance to hear Jello Biafra, former Dead Kennedy frontman, speak on censorship Thursday at 7:30 p.m. in the Sandburg Auditorium.

Also on Friday at 7:30 p.m., environmental musician Dana Lyons will perform in Diversions, cosponsored by SEAC and the Student Committee for Animal Wellness.

If students are looking for a good way to end their week, they should investigate Friday’s events.

At noon until 1 p.m., Artistic Feet, a folk funk band will play in the commons.

The Produce Section will perform later from 4:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. in Diversions.

Later in Diversions, at 7:30 p.m., students can attend the Tropical Rainforest Mixer, cosponsored by SEAC.

Springfest is brought to a close on Saturday with a Day in the Park in the east lagoon from 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

All day on Saturday sports events will take place and bands will be playing at the east lagoon.

The Blind Venetians begin the set at 10:30 a.m. and play until 11:15 a.m., followed by Screaming At Alice at 11:45 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.

The Drovers will play from 1 to 2 p.m. and are followed by Funkhouse at 2:30 to 3:30 p.m.

Bluesman Big Daddy Kinsey and his sons, The Kinsey Report, will bring the music set to a close playing from 4 to 5:30 p.m.

Also on Saturday from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., students can participate in the Hasbro Survivor Shot at the east lagoon.

There will be 10 player teams each equipped with laser guns. The best score wins a prize.

ain locations are provided in the event of foul weather.

Also, in the event of rain, the presentation of “Fantasia” will be shown in the Sandburg Auditorium.

A Day in the Park will be spent in the student center if it rains April 27.

“We’re keeping our fingers crossed that the weather will be good,” Adrian said.