New recruits please Sadler

By Wes Swietek

Who will be NIU’s next Stacey Robinson?

The answer to that question may be contained in the recently released list of high school football players that have signed national letters of intent to attend NIU.

Although Robinson’s successor at the quarterback spot for the Huskies isn’t likely to be a freshman, the new signees are the foundation upon which the future of NIU football will be built.

And that foundation is solid according to NIU head football coach Charlie Sadler.

“We’re very pleased with the outcome (of the recruiting),” Sadler said. “We signed some people who’ll give us some help in areas we need, especially in the offensive line and in some skill positions.”

Of the 22 recruits, most will find themselves suffering the same fate as most football-playing college freshmen: being red-shirted. Red-shirting is the practice of not playing freshmen to allow them the opportunity to adjust to college life and mature physically while maintaining four years of eligibility.

How many recruits Sadler will red-shirt remains to be seen.

“From a general philosophy, you’d like to have a team strong enough to red-shirt all of them,” Sadler said. “It depends on how (advanced) they are when they get here. In one way or the other (some) guys aren’t quite ready. We’ll wait until they get on campus.”

Once the new Huskies and the players remaining from Jerry Pettibone’s regime get down to the task at hand, playing football, they’ll find themselves learning a new playbook.

“Basically they’ll have to learn a new offense and defense. Great concentration is essential,” Sadler said.

“You’re going to have your schemes. The one area that will be determined by our talent is how much we’ll throw the ball. If we’re throwing the ball into the stands and to our opponents, we won’t try to throw the ball 20 times a game.”

One of the young men that signed on NIU’s dotted line was Shawn Wehrspann of Geneseo. The 6-3, 190-pound safety is expected to be switched to outside linebacker at NIU.

“(I came) mainly because of the academics. The business school is just outstanding,” Wehrspann said. “What convinced me was the academics.”

Another factor was the new Huskies coach. “I really liked him. Hopefully, Charlie Sadler will be here for my full five years,” said Wehrspann, who admits, “The first time I talked to him was when he offered (the scholarship).”

Wehrspann was also recruited by Illinois State, Northern Iowa and Western Illinois, but was convinced to choose NIU when he visited DeKalb. “There were a lot more people than I thought. I know during springtime it’s a beautiful campus (and) it’ll be a great place to live,” Wehrspann said.

Wehrspann is likely to find the Huskie Stadium turf a less beautiful environment, but he is undaunted by the tough schedule and competition the Huskies face this season.

“I’ll be looking to contribute as much as I can,” Wehrspann said. “I’ll be trying to beat somebody out.”