Special parking denied to pregnant student

By Linda Warchal

A pregnant student who is not eligible for a green parking sticker is afraid she will still be walking two blocks to her bus stop even in her ninth month of pregnancy.

Karen Stoffel, an NIU senior, tried twice to obtain a green parking sticker which would allow her to park in the Chick Evans Field House lot, but her request was refused by the parking division.

Green parking stickers are only given out to graduate assistants with the proper identification, said Helen Nodurft, Campus Parking manager.

Stoffel said she only needs the sticker two days out of the week.

“It’s no big deal to give me special parking privileges because I only have classes on Tuesdays and Thursdays,” she said.

Stoffel said she is nearing her seventh month of pregnancy so she is still able to walk fairly easily.

Stoffel also must walk from the Holmes Student Center bus stop to her classes in Cole Hall.

“By the time final exams come, I’m going to be nine months pregnant.” She said she would rather not have to do that much walking.

The Parking Division explained it only sells permits to students and faculty of the color they are eligible for.

Stoffel is eligible for a brown parking sticker which allows her to park on campus after 7 p.m. She said because cars are not ticketed at night, the brown sticker is “serving me no purpose.”

Stoffel applied for and paid $30 for the brown sticker hoping that she would be able to get a special sticker.

“That was the second time I was refused. I was sort of fed up.”

Stoffel said the Parking Division told her the reason she could not have a green sticker was that she already had a brown sticker.

“I don’t think that I have a brown sticker is a sufficient reason,” Stoffel said.