Impeachment is not solution to SA problems

By David Pollard

When the going gets tough, the not so tough impeach.

Since I’ve been at NIU, I’ve witnessed the power of impeachment used, but not successfully, on former Student Association presidents Paula Radtke and Huda Scheidelman. Now I’m witnessing a third target, SA Vice President Tanya Smith.

The SA is definitely experienced in the art of impeachment. Scary isn’t it?

On the other hand, it’s obvious a few SA senators have no experience dealing with people in the organization on a one-to-one basis.

I feel it’s time the SA senators and executive board take a look at themselves before judging others.

One of Rob McCormack’s campaign promises was to focus on SA internal issues. Isn’t this an internal issue Mr. McCormack?

You also said, “I will institute reform of the internal organizations and operation of the Student Association which is vital if the SA’s credibility is to be repaired.” The Northern Star, April 10.

As you and I both know Mr. McCormack, this whole impeachment issue is certainly not making the SA a credible organization and impeachment is definitely not a way to reform an organization.

The president and vice president are supposed to work together. If there is a problem, shouldn’t it be corrected through dialogue between the two of you?

I’ve read a lot in the paper about Ms. Smith expressing her concerns verbally to the senate but not a whole lot from you. If you don’t support your own vice president then the SA will remain an organization that is paper thin.

Why are you taking a neutral stance? Where is your leadership? You owe it to the students who elected you to this position to own up to your campaign promises.

If Ms. Smith has done such a wrong that it has crippled the internal working of this organization then she should be impeached. I don’t think she has.

To the senators who have signed the petition for impeachment: It is obvious that the vice president of the SA is the “lone executive” with no support from you and others in the SA.

Petitioning senators, ask yourself have you extended a helping hand to Ms. Smith and have you done a good job?

Mr. Fabrizius, according to the fall SA Profile booklet, you want to “work on student relations, racial conflicts, handicap services, student affairs, SA budget,” as well as many others. Is this your method of accomplishing these goals?

Why hasn’t the list of specific allegations directed at Ms. Smith turned in on Tuesday like the SA agreed upon at the last SA meeting?

Mr. Fabrizius, if you still believe Ms. Smith is not the right person for the job then shouldn’t the proper measures have been taken?

You said in Wednesday’s Star that you’ve “got all the cards.” Well let’s see them? Show the students that you are the one with the goods on Ms. Smith, that you’re truly the man with the best interest of the SA at heart.

Ms. Ahmed, you say you are “upset for the reason why the impeachment was withdrawn.” I wonder why, all of a sudden you are ready to impeach Ms. Smith. Do you want to be the vice president?

You say that she is hiding something. Well, if that is true, she’s not the only one.

Ms. Smith has been trying for the last few days to gather material to state her case at this Sunday’s SA meeting. This information has now mysteriously disappeared from within the SA’s main office.

Anyone who holds an executive or advisory position, and anyone who comes in while these persons are present can get access to the main office. This incident occurred after office hours.

I think I can speak for all the fee paying students at NIU when I say we are not being well represented by these senators.

The students are really tired of sandbox politics. They want to see some changes on campus to benefit them, not changes in personnel.

Will Tanya Smith’s impeachment, if passed, truly help the SA? I don’t think so.

It has been attempted twice in the two previous terms, but they didn’t go through with it because they realized impeachment is not the answer and communication is.

They stopped sending each other memorandums and started talking face to face. They put their narrow-mindedness aside and put themselves in each other’s shoes.

They sat down and asked themselves honestly. How much have I done to obtain for my fee paying constituency the things that I have promised and in which they are entitled?

David Pollard is an employee on the Weekender staff at The Northern Star and his opinion in no way reflects the opinion of the editorial board or other employees.