Attorney to counsel displaced renters

By Kristiina Ellam

Free legal guidance is available to students who are unable to move into their unfinished Stadium View II apartments.

An informational meeting for anyone who signed a lease for the Stadium View Apartments II will be held today at 10 a.m. in the Holmes Student Center, Room 305.

Lynn Richards, NIU Students’ Legal Assistance attorney, said Friday’s meeting will explain students’ rights and responsibilities and will lay out alternative courses of action.

She said the big decision will be whether students want to reaffirm their contracts with Stadium View II or demand a full refund.

Another issue involves what kind of compensation students get as a result of being temporarily homeless, Richards said.

However, Richards said it is the students’ final decision where they want to go.

Students who signed leases to live at Stadium View II apartments for this school year are temporarily living in local hotels or commuting.

The homeless tennants staying in hotels are paid $3 a day for food allowance, a $25 fee for moving expenses and 65 cents per day for storage fees, in addition to the room rental that is covered by the apartment owners.

The money, however, is not paid directly to the students but gets deducted from their rent.

Mark Costello, junior English major and homeless tennant, has been staying at the Georgetown motel since Aug. 27.

Costello said his attitude is pretty positive about the whole thing. “The lifestyle is OK,” but the money situation is poor, he said.

Disgruntled and homeless tennant Stephen Price, senior history major, said the amount of money alotted to them does not cover the expenses.

“It’s a ridiculous figure,” Price said about the moving fee.

Brad Rubeck, one member of the Stadium View Partnership, refused to comment on the completion of the project. Richards also was unable to get any new information—no guarantees, just estimates, she said.

A concern expressed by two displaced students is the financial stability of the partnership.

One student said he hopes the company does not go bankrupt, fearing he might end up on the street.