Overlooked defense rebuilding

By Eric Burt

Most of the publicity NIU football generated during and after last season centered on the offensive side of the ball. The defense wasn’t ignored, but quarterback Stacey Robinson captured most of the press.

The defense ranked 29th in the nation in rushing defense in 1989, allowing 129.5 yards per game. Two opponents gained less than 10 yards rushing and five were under 100 ground yards.

And seven starters are returning.

What about the other four spots?

“Things are going along good, they just need game experience,” defensive coordinator Tim McGuire said. “The guys are working hard, but question marks still remain.”

The biggest hole left after 1989 was in the middle of the line. Tackles Ted Hennings and Phil Bucaro are gone, exposing little playing experience. Hennings finished his fourth letter-season with 55 tackles, three sacks and an interception returned for a touchdown. Bucaro completed his final NIU season with 59 tackles and three sacks.

Junior Eric White was slated to start at left tackle, according to McGuire, but he hasn’t healed after an ankle injury and will be replaced by sophomore Tom Osteen for this Saturday’s opener against Eastern Illinois. White missed the rest of last season and spring drills after an October shoulder operation.

Next to Osteen at right tackle will be sophomore Rob Wagner, last spring’s Most Improved Defensive Player. The 6-foot-4 Wagner bulked up during the off-season to 265 pounds, making him the biggest on the line.

On the ends, starters Cary Caliendo and Scott Van Bellinger return. Caliendo needs seven tackles for loss to tie the NIU record of 47 held by former Indianapolis Colt Scott Kellar (1982-85). A 6-4, 242-pound senior, Caliendo has led the Huskies in sacks the last three years. He was named 1990 pre-season First-Team All-Independent by Don Heinrich’s College Football.

Van Bellinger led the team in tackles for loss last season with 12. He also finished the year with 44 tackles and a fumble recovery.

Absent from the inside linebacker spot is NIU’s fourth all-time leading tackler Ron Delisi. The top two candidates to replace Delisi are junior Steve Henriksen and sophomore Steve Kurtz.

Henriksen, granted a medical hardship redshirt by the NCAA after shoulder surgery last season, will start against EIU. Kurtz will fill in for Henriksen during that game and will start against Nebraska on Sept. 9.

Nick Jones, who started last season at left inside linebacker, swapped positions with right inside linebacker Delisi after three games and finished the season there. Jones is back at LILB and looks to improve on last year’s 62 tackles.

James Randall started last season at right outside linebacker and moved to the left side after a knee injury to Paul Rogan during the Western Illinois game. Randall finished 1989 with 53 tackles, one interception and one fumble recovery. He will return to ROLB this fall and will be joined on the outside by left outside linebacker Steve Christian, who started the last five games of 1989 at ROLB. Christian recorded 45 tackles, one sack, one interception and one fumble recovery last year.

The only spot to fill in the secondary is the one vacated by left cornerback Brett Tucker. Tucker, gone to the NFL’s Houston Oilers, started the first nine games of 1989 before injuring his knee. He was replaced by Jeff Geary for the final two games. Sophomore Rich Favor will start at LCB and will be backed by Geary this season.

The rest of the secondary remains unchanged with Earl Upton at right corner back and Kevin Cassidy at free safety. Upton started every game in 1989 and led the team with three interceptions. Cassidy had started 27 straight games before missing the Temple game last Oct. 28. He returned to start the final three games and finished the season with 64 tackles and the Huskies’ only blocked field goal.

The sentiment of the NIU coaching staff is one of confident uncertainty.

“The kids will give a great effort and do their best if we put them in the right situations,” McGuire said. “As a whole, the unit knows they have to play well and create situations for the offense to score.”

“We’ll have to wait and see,” head coach Jerry Pettibone said. “We’ll have to wait and see who takes charge in the heat of battle.”