Academic summer camps offer college experiences

By Kristiina Ellam

To some people, the idea of summer camp conjures up images of hiking through poison ivy and mosquito-filled forests.

To the junior high and high school students attending the NIU summer camps, it is a different image.

High school freshman Josh Cohen said the reason why he enrolled in the NIU Visual Arts Camp was to see “how good I am compared to others.”

“There’s more collective mindpower,” agrees high school sophomore Steve Haruch. “I’m exposed to a variety of ways of doing things,” he said.

Debbie Booth, Coordinator of Academic Camp Programming, said these camps give kids academic experience they would not get in junior high or high school.

Booth also said kids who go to these camps usually end up majoring in the area they became interested while at camp.

Entering freshman Adam Pries said one reason he chose the High Technology Camp was to see if he would enjoy the field.

Professor of Automated Manufacturing Jule Scarborough said these camps hopefully will recruit kids to the technology field, as well as to the college.

Melissa Cooksey said she has been going to the Musical Arts Experience Camp for three years. She said she is very “satisfied” with the program. However, Cooksey said, “The curfews are a little too early.”

This is Bill Carter’s second year at camp. “It’s great learning with college instructors,” he said. “It’s a well-rounded program.”

The only complaints campers had about the camps were about curfews and housing.

Visual Arts camper Jenny Dahlberg said she wished the guys were staying in the same place as the girls.

When asked what changes he would like to be made with the camp, Haruch said he would like to be housed closer to his art class.

Although many camps have ended, there are still a few continuing until the end of July.