Bill sponsors refuse to talk

By Dana Netzel

Two Illinois legislators are silent about a bill that might block Illinois universities from using an in-house credit system.

State Rep. Jim McPike, D-Alton, the bill’s co-sponsor, would only say Rep. John Countryman, R-DeKalb, is the bill’s lead sponsor. McPike refused to give specifics of the bill, including the bill’s status and number.

The bill would effectively block NIU from installing its charge-card system with the Holmes Student Center Bookstore through student’s IDs.

Countryman did not return numerous phone calls from The Northern Star.

An Illinois State Law enacted Jan. 1 requires universities creating an in-house credit system only to use it for school supplies, art supplies and text books.

The bill does not stop schools with a system that accepts charges on anything sold in the store. The University of Illinois’ Chicago and Champaign campuses have such a system.

Under NIU’s charge plan, students will receive an invoice that demands payment in full within 30 days of the purchase. If not paid, NIU’s standard university intrest rate of 1.25 percent will be added to the bill each month, said Student Center Director Judd Baker.

Students with an outstanding bill will have their records withheld and will not be allowed to register for classes, he said.

Withholding NIU student records would also make it hard for students to register at other schools because most universities require records from the previous school.

The credit system “is a good thing for the students. It is something the students want,” Baker said.

Countryman’s proposal would make it easier for outside vendors to compete with university stores for school materials. In order to collect unpaid bills, outside vendors would have to create a system or higher a collection agency. However, universities can rely on witholding the student’s records.

Village Commons Bookstore Director Richard Boardman said there is a competitive disadvantage with payments made through the university, but the VCB also will offer students the same line of credit on any items.

The VCB is the student center’s bookstore primary competitor for NIU students’ business.

“I don’t have a lot of advantages that are inherent to the university,” Boardman said. But “from a student’s point of view, it is a win, win, win situation.”

Baker said, “competition (with VCB) is there and always has been there.”