Attendance figures baffle Huskies

By Wes Swietek

To those involved, Saturday’s Huskie football game was the most important of the season, as well as perhaps the most important game ever played at Huskie Stadium. Judging by the attendance, however, only 5,604 fans agreed.

Head coach Jerry Pettibone was at a loss to explain the apparent disinterest.

“It was the biggest game of the year, against the best football team that we’ve ever played here at Huskie Stadium. It was well promoted, and there was good weather and still there was nobody here,” said Pettibone.

“I was shocked,” Pettibone said about seeing the vast expanse of empty seats at Saturday’s contest. “When I first saw it I was upset, but I didn’t say anything to the team because I wanted them to concentrate on the game.”

Poor attendance figures also can hurt NIU’s chances for receiving a post-season bowl bid. Bowl selection committees factor in a team’s fan support in determining whether to offer a team a bowl invitation.

“I don’t know how the bowl process works but only 5,000 people can’t help,” said fullback Adam Dach. “We’re 10-1 at home in the past two years so I don’t understand why (the fans) weren’t out there.”

“I think there’s no excuse,” said split-end Mark Clancy about the lack of interest. “The students complain about not having a good sports team and now that they have one, they don’t come out to see them. It’s ridiculous.”

Despite the build-up entering Saturday’s contest and the significance of the game for NIU’s football program, the turnout was the lowest of the season.

Through the first four home games the Huskies averaged 17,721 spectators with a season high of 23,933 on Homecoming day against Southern Illinois. The previous low attendance mark was turned in at NIU’s home opener against Cal State-Fullerton with 8,235 fans in Huskie Stadium. Even NIU’s game against UNLV, which was shown on local television, outdrew Saturday’s match.

“It’s difficult for me to understand and it’s a real disappointment to figure out why people weren’t at the game Saturday,” said Pettibone. “These are things that are beyond the control of the football team and the coaching staff. The only thing we can do is to continue to work hard and get ready to play and continue on with the great season that we’re having.”

Pettibone, however, was pleased with the support of the vocal fans who did attend the game. “The 5,000 people who did show up were great. They cheered their hearts out and they were here for all the right reasons. But I can’t understand why there weren’t more people here. I guess we have to face the fact that there was a lack of interest in this community and in the student body. Apparently there were other things that they would rather be doing than to be here at the game.”

Pettibone hopes for a better turnout for Saturday’s contest against Toledo. “This is our last game and it’s senior recognition day. For the seniors it will be their last game at Huskie Stadium, and I think it would be a real shame if we didn’t have a nice crowd. A big crowd makes a positive impact on our performance. When there’s the roar of the crowd, and the support of the fans, especially the students, it means a lot to the team. It gets them up for the game and gets them excited.

“It will help us play as well as we’re capable of playing if the students are here Saturday,” added Pettibone. “There’s nothing we can do about the USL game—that’s in the past. The only thing we can do now is focus on the future and try to make things better.”