A-Phi to help increase participation in events

By Michelle Isaacson

Alpha Phi sorority is trying to increase school spirit and participation in NIU athletics by sponsoring events with the athletic department.

Dana Schmidt, Alpha Phi external public relations officer, said the sorority made an agreement with NIU’s Intercollegiate Athletic Department on May 9, 1989.

Mary Mihelich, assistant athletic director for promotions and marketing, said she contacted Alpha Phi last semester and asked them to help the athletic department increase student involvement.

Mihelich said she chose Alpha Phi because they had been involved with Huskie athletics in the past. “They’re (Alpha Phi) involved mostly with increasing student involvement. They have an opportunity to reach a lot of people because they have a large organization,” Mihelich said.

In the agreement, Alpha Phi agreed to host female recruits, coordinate an “Adopt-A-Huskie” program for men’s and women’s basketball, act as greeters for men’s and women’s home basketball games and assist in halftime and shoot-out contests for men’s and women’s home basketball games.

Alpha Phi also agreed to assist in scheduling coaches to speak at Greek houses and residence halls, in coordinating a student organization sign program for the Huskie Stadium during football seasons and assisting in football and basketball halftime promotions.

Alpha Phi began their program by handing out football schedules around campus in the beginning of the school year.

Schmidt said the sorority has already organized a sign program for the football team. Several fraternities and sororities have made spirit banners which will be displayed on the fences around the stadium at home games.

The “Adopt-A-Huskie” program is open to all organizations. The goal of the program is to increase student participation and involvement at these games.

“There hasn’t been a thing yet that they (Alpha Phi) haven’t followed through and done a great job on,” Mihelich said.