Board may strengthen bid for split

By Diane Buerger

Faculty and student efforts for a separate governing board might be strengthened if the Board of Regents pass proposed policy changes, two NIU campus sources say.

No action has been planned by the University Council, Faculty Assembly or the Joint University Advisory Committee. However, if the policy is implemented, those who lobbied for a separate governing board bill might push for a change, said J. Carroll Moody, UC executive secretary.

“There is some concern about how possible it will be to get legislation (for a separate governing board bill) this soon after it has failed,” Moody said.

The Board of Regents governs NIU, Illinois State University in Normal and Sangamon State University in Springfield.

“The feeling on the ISU and NIU campuses will not leave a doubt in anyone’s mind where the two largest universities in the (Regency) system stand on these changes,” Moody said.

One alternative to a separate board, Moody said, would be the restructuring of the Board of Regents with the addition of an alumnus from each of the three universities, voting rights given to student regents and representation by three faculty members with voting rights.

The separate governing board and restructuring plan might run in tandem, Moody said.

Discontent over the proposal also came from the leader of the Student Association.

“The Board of Regents will send a poor public image to all three campuses if this is passed,” said SA President Huda Scheidelman.”This will not help the Board of Regents or any of the three universities.”

The efforts for a separate board will not be hampered by the policy changes, but increase the attempt for further legislation, she said.

There are no protest rallies or Day of Action demonstrations planned yet by the SA, Scheidelman said.

After SA senators are elected this week, the SA can plan more thoroughly, Scheidelman said. SA Senate elections will be held Wednesday and Thursday.

Under the proposed policy changes, the chancellor’s office will hold primary responsiblity for legislative relations, review performances of presidents, require university presidents to report to Chancellor Roderick Groves for matters of campus concern and all matters involving system and board coordination.

The University Council, comprised of members of the Student Associaton, Faculty Assembly, Joint University Advisory Committee and the operating staff, passed a resolution last week asking the Board of Regents to delay their decision until the next meeting in October.

“If the Board of Regents decides not to delay action, I feel people will be disappointed and disillusioned with the Board of Regents,” Scheidelman said.