Congrats to quality teachers

When it comes to higher education, there is something to be said about good, quality professors. That would probably be that they are priceless.

The heart of education lies with instruction, motivation and intellect combined, which all make for a good learning atmosphere. There are some professors who can help students feel good about themselves and build confidence while offering them a world of knowledge.

Every year, NIU honors and offers awards to professors who hold these qualities. This year, three professors were named 1989 recipients of NIU’s annual Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching Awards.

It’s great that these people are given the recognition they so richly deserve. The winners were Jeffrey Chown, associate professor of communication studies; Curtis Norton, professor of accountancy and Carl Roskott, associate professor of music and director of the NIU Philharmonic Orchestra.

These professors will be recognized at an Honors Day banquet on Sunday, and they deserve as much recognition as possible. It is difficult to find good teachers at any price and at any place.

To just have the knowledge in any particular field is not enough. Good teaching takes time and preparation for classes, as well as ability to get ideas across and a real interest in students’ needs.

Once again, congratulations to the aforementioned professors for a job well done.