President needs more notice

Twice in the last week, students have marched into the office of NIU President John LaTourette to confront him with questions about what they call institutional racism on campus. In both instances, the students were disappointed to find LaTourette out of his office, unavailable to comment on their concerns.

After the Board of Regents Personnel Committee meeting last Thursday, about 20 members of the Students for the Freedom of Martha Palmer marched from the Holmes Student Center to LaTourette’s office in hopes of questioning him about Palmer’s dismissal from her counseling job in the CHANCE program.

But, LaTourette was tied in Regents committee meetings at the student center. And when a group of students visited the president’s office following a rally Friday, he again was absent from his office.

Instances such as these have prompted some students to label LaTourette the “disappearing president.” However, these students should realize there is little chance the president will be in his office whenever they spontaneously visit Lowden Hall.

LaTourette is a busy man and often out of his office. It is unlikely that he is intentionally leaving his office to avoid students. Those wishing to discuss legitimate concerns with the president, such as the Students for the Freedom of Martha Palmer, should take the time to schedule an appointment to speak with him directly. After all, those concerns are legitimate and worthy of the president’s time. And if LaTourette misses his appointments, then he is worthy of the disappearing label.

Making an appointment would seem less tiring and more effective than random visits to LaTourette’s office.

Students concerned with issues such as the Palmer case will have an opportunity tonight to question LaTourette and Provost Kendall Baker in the student center Heritage Room at 7:30. Administrators should attempt to schedule such programs more often in the future, and both parties—administrators and students—should take advantage of this opportunity for exchange of information and ideas.