NIU parking proposal selfish

The NIU Parking Division should abandon its selfish proposal for a new building at a new location.

Advocates of the proposal say a new building and site are necessary because inside the present location, workers are “very cramped for space” and outside, too many vehicles and pedestrians “have to share the same space.”

Unfortunately space is a precious commodity at NIU. It is difficult to justify such a proposal when many other offices on campus make due in even more cramped conditions, without complaining.

Funding for the creation of such a new building is an even rarer commodity to come by. Advocates propose the use of bond revenue funding. But increased bond revenue generated by increased parking fees was paid by students, faculty and staff with the belief that the additional money would be used to help relieve the cramped parking situation—not for the creation of a new building at a new location. Student parking permit prices have gone up by more than four times from last year.

The parking committee’s student representative was correct when he said the proposal will be “a difficult sell job” for the committee. Times are tight. Everyone at NIU is being asked to hang on a little longer, contribute a little more and expect a little less.