Trash can be a worthwhile cause

Saving aluminum cans, glass bottles and paper for recycling is a way to help protect the environment and even a way to make a little money. It’s also something more people, such as college students, should pay closer attention to.

Every year, more and more landfills across the country are filled to capacity with trash and then expanded to hold the overflow of garbage. The problem is that much of this trash, such as cans, bottles and paper, can be recycled and used again. Instead, however, much of this reusable trash is thrown away and left to rot slowly in a pile of garbage.

College students are one group of people who should be intelligent enough to take advantage of a good thing when they see it. Despite the fact that they probably use more cans and bottles than any other group in the country, only a small percentage of students seem to participate in the saving of recyclable trash.

The Student Association, does not pay for the return of bottles and cans, but does run a recycling center which has been rather successful in past years. Meanwhile, Dimco Recycling Center in DeKalb, which pays by the pound, has seen its business soar recently.

There’s still room for improvement and NIU students can help. Students should not be embarrassed to keep trash if it’s done for a worthwhile cause. And helping the environment is a worthwhile cause.

But if not for the environment, then save these items for something which college students love to complain about—money. After all, throwing cans and bottles away is actually just like throwing money into the garbage.