Greeks not all alike

In response to the Sept. 13 column written by Marianne Renner, I contest her points that first, all greeks represent the same ideas, and second, the senate must be redistricted.

Ms. Renner states, “if you vote for one, you vote for all.” That may or may not have been the basis of last year’s campaign strategy for a number of greeks, but that was last year. She is wrong in picturing all greeks alike. Every house, be it fraternity or sorority, is unique. A person chooses to join a particular house on the basis of that house’s uniqueness. No two houses are alike. Each has its own set of beliefs, standards, goals and practices.

Ms. Renner’s next point is that the senate should be redistricted. First, the students of this campus are already divided up unnecessarily. The ludicrous number of so-called “racial incidents” occur precisely because students (either white or black) feel lumped into separate categories, creating conflict. Division must be minimized. Secondly, the present system works. I wonder if Ms. Renner would feel the same way if the RHA were to organize the 4,500 plus students located in the towers alone. The fact that one student group has managed to achieve a certain level of organization in public voting does not prove the system wrong, it proves the system works. If members of the JLS put their minds to it, they could be just as effective with the amount of publicity they receive.

Why change a system that allows representation to any student group, when such change will more than likely cause further division between students who need each other now more than ever?

John F. Martin

Junior

Political Science/Philosophy