Keep opinions out

I have been furiated (sic.) by the recent articles shown in the Star about the SA elections. These articles, instead of focusing on SA issues, are constantly putting down greek organizations and their members. I feel that it should be obvious that these candidates were on the ballot because they showed initiative to get involved in their university and not because they are members of a greek organization. Maybe your editors should try focusing on productive ways to get more non-greek, off-campus students involved instead of constantly cutting down the greeks. The students who ran for SA offices were qualified to do so, the greek community at NIU is not so large that their votes would outweigh the votes of the rest of the student body. The students on Greek Row do not have “different concerns, opinions, beliefs, lifestyles and attitudes”; they are all here to achieve the same goals as every other student on this campus: to get an education, to get involved and to meet new people. They accomplish this goal by joining an organized group that participates in community service, raises money for a variety of different charities, promotes involvement in the university and gives them the opportunity to expand themselves, not conform. I think maybe the editors of The Northern Star should realize that out in the “real” world newspapers keep opinions out of their journalism and do not knock down organizations that they know nothing about.

Susan Salach

Junior

Communications