Student members absent

By Susie Snyder

Three of the four student members of NIU’s parking committee have not been present at the committee’s monthly meetings since January, said Bob Bornhuetter, committee chairman.

Bornhuetter noted the students’ absences at the committee’s first meeting of the fall semester on Thursday. He said that because the students are appointed by the Student Association and cannot be replaced until November, he wanted to amend the term of student members from one calendar year to one academic year.

The committee discussed amending a quorum requirement of voting, which currently requires 11 members of the committee to be present during voting, to a seven member attendance requirement, because of poor recent attendance.

In other business, the committee voted to make Lot 2, a blue-coded lot for faculty and staff parking located south of Anderson Hall, an open parking lot after 5 p.m. The change will allow vehicles to park in the lot without purchasing a permit sticker from NIU.

The committee decided to make the change after committee member Steve Lux proposed a consideration for reduced parking fees for people enrolled in cardiac rehabilitation programs at the University Health Center. Bornhuetter said he believed the spaces also could be used for people attending evening concerts or cultural events.

The committee said they wanted to stress the fact that Lot 2 will be the only blue lot that will not require a permit after 5 p.m.

Lynn Fraser, director of NIU’s parking division, said other recent parking changes include the closing of Lot A, north of Anderson Hall, on Sept. 12 until mid- or late October. She said alternative parking can be found in Lot G, south of Lincoln Hall, Lot O, north of University Apartments, or Lot F, west of University Apartments.