Don’t blame greeks

As a former senator myself from Triton College in River Grove, I’d like to applaud Vice-President Greg Bliss and the Student Association. The organization saw a problem, unequal representation in the senate, so they decided to take immediate action; Blame it on the greeks! These student politicians really know their stuff! Instead of admiting the existing problem, they decided to quickly pick a scapegoat so they might avoid the real issue all together! Sounds familiar, huh, just like the “big boys” in D.C. It’s about time the Student Association of NIU accepted and delt with the fact that greeks are an important part of the campus, community and student government. Every year the greek system at NIU grows larger and larger. When you pledge a house, it’s something like a small governmental group in itself. The houses have officers, do volunteer work for charities and participate in activities both social and academic. Can any other organizational groups make these claims? Why must the SA continually fight against us? The reason there is friction in the existing senate is because of this crazy dislike of the whole greek system! O.K. Mr. Bliss, you can go on and split up the senate to “greek and non-greek,” but please, remember who you are hurting—NIU, the community and the student government. Please SA members, put your political tactics and jealousies aside so that we can do what we are elected to do and most times forget; serve the students, not ourselves.

Christy Nosek

Sophomore

English/Political Science