‘High tuition blues’

During the past three years the state has decreased higher education’s share of the general revenue fund (GRF). This means less capital for our institutions to operate on. Therefore, our tuition is increasing to compenste for the loss in GRF revenue. Why is the state taking money from education? It seems that there are two possible answers to this question. 1) Tuition is a source of state revenue that can be increased without action of the General Assembly. 2) The reduction is an example of political posturing of an issue. It is more persuasive to have students call for tax increases than welfare lords and prison inmates.

The Illinois Student Association has become an income tax lobby using virtually all of its resources for this cause. What’s wrong with that? A tax increase will happen in the next couple of years with or without ISA. Tuition increases will not be rolled back after the tax increase. Education’s governing boards are quite secure in their position. After the tax increase tuition will have increased considerably and education will be receiving a large portion of the tax increase revenue. What do we get? More tuition today, more taxes tomorrow. I do not believe that a tax increase is the answer to the high tuition blues.

It is my earnest opinion that ISA should lead a grass roots campaign for tuition caps on our campuses and take a legislative position that higher education has to be the number one priority of our state. I believe NIU’s and ISA’s rallies should be for tuition caps and not tax increases. If you want to influence somebody, stage a Day of Action at a Board of Regents meeting. They can not raise tuition if they can not meet.

In conclusion, here are some questions you might ask your Student Association representatives. What is ISA going to do with the money we are prepared to give it? What programs and services has ISA provided the students of Illinois? Why is ISA sharing a prestigious office building with the Board of Regents? Does this office present an image to General Assembly members that we can not afford Illinois tuition? Why does ISA need a $20,000 computer system when the average association can get by with one for $3,500 or less? What position has ISA taken on comparable worth? It should be interesting to see just what your Student Association members know about ISA. After all it doesn’t cost anything to ask.

Brian Kasher

Three year ISA Board Member, Retired.