Fall camps end for 2 Huskie squads 3 gridders injured; taylor ready to go

By Tom Clegg

NIU football coach Jerry Pettibone wanted physical practices for his players this fall. He got it.

In the process the Huskies have lost the services of three players, including two potential starters for their Sept. 3 home opener against Akron.

Injured during fall practice, which began Sept. 15, were tackle Greg Heidel, halfback Mike Strasser, and reserve tackle Rob Barry. Pettibone expects Strasser to return for the Huskies’ next game against Middle Tennessee State Sept. 10, but Heidel and Barry will be out for 3-4 weeks.

“We’ve had a lot more contact this year than in times before,” Pettibone said, “because I think our players respond to that. They believe in it, and it helps them develop a real toughness that is part of how we feel about ourselves and is the kind of team we are.”

The fourth-year NIU coach said he realized the extra hitting in the preseason could lead to more injuries, but the benefits gained by such physical practices outweighed the negatives.

The good news for NIU fans comes at quarterback. The Huskies’ All-America candidate, senior Marshall Taylor, emerged from the fray unscathed as his surgically repaired left leg held up during fall workouts. Taylor had expressed concern prior to fall camp about overcoming the mental aspects of playing on his untested ankle.

“He (Taylor) scrimmaged extremely well,” Pettibone said. “He took a lot of shots. He’s past any psychological barrier on being able to hold up with his leg injury, and I feel extremely good about Marshall.”

Taylor wasn’t the only QB Pettibone was feeling good about. Sophomore Stacey Robinson emerged from fall practice as NIU’s No. 3 signal caller behind Taylor and James Darby, dropping red-shirt freshman Kevin Barry to fourth string.

Robinson, a sleek 6-foot, 187-pounder, had to learn the Huskie’s tricky Wishbone offense in a hurry this fall after sitting out his freshman year as a Proposition 48 casualty.

“Stacey has been a very pleasant surprise,” Pettibone said. “I always knew that Stacey was a gifted athlete, but I wasn’t sure how quickly he would pick up the offense mentally. He’s moved along a lot more rapidly with that phase of it than I anticipated he would.”

The youth movement does not end with Robinson. Pettibone plans on having true freshman Matt Golden kick off for the Huskies next Saturday. However, the NIU head coach said sophomore John Ivanic will be responsible for field goals, even long ones.

Ivanic booted 18-of-24 field goals a year ago, but his longest kick was just 37 yards. Pettibone said Ivanic has shown a stronger leg this fall after working out during the summer.

“I have much more confidence in John Ivanic to do any of our field-goal kicking right now,” Pettibone said, though he left open the possibility that Golden might be called on in a special circumstance.

The Huskies will hold a 6:30 p.m. practice Monday to prepare for the Saturday evening game with Akron. The rest of the week will consist of afternoon workouts.