Childishness can ruin a perfectly good cause

The first week after spring break is better than half-way over. Some will agree more time is still needed. Such an idea! A chance to spend free time in large blocks of hours instead of minutes collectively making an hour-or-so of free time for an entire week. A chance to spend free time relaxing body and mind before the time comes to get back into the swing of things and participate as fully functional members of society.

Unfortunately, there was no extension of time and all had to leave the lifestyle and carefree thoughtlessness of spring break behind.

Well, it appears at least a minority of NIU’s students did not, judging from their recent behavior. With the rejuvenation of energy resulting from spring break, NIU’s infamous protesters are back on the pavement with vigils and rallies.

These activities are not all bad all the time. But there is a point of overkill. And after a while, as with Wednesday’s incidents, people are beginning to laugh and turn away instead of agree and join in with support. It’s a shame on both sides. Because soon the day will come when a rally of unity is necessary and the majority will laugh and turn away out of habit in reaction to past behavior.

Wednesday, the John Lennon Society and the DeKalb Interfaith Network held a rally and march to protest the presence of U.S. troops in Honduras and aid to the Contras.

Instead of building support in the commons, the rally served as noon-hour entertainment. Students spending their lunch hours basking in the spring sun laughed at the three-ring circus going on and then went about their business as the protesters began their march.

Laughs were replaced by shouts of anger and waving fists when the protesters brought their march to the ROTC building. So much for pacifism.

Has the new motto become—actions speak louder than words?

Behavior deteriorated at an increasing rate and the purpose the rally and march intended to serve became lost in childish behavior.

Protesters proceeded to use chalk to color the sidewalks with slogans, in addition to filling the air with chants at the DeKalb Army Recruiting Station. The DeKalb Police did not appreciate this any more than they had when they arrested SCOPA Chairman Tom Rainey and Andrew Shankman over the weekend for allegedly coloring political slogans and opinions on recruiting posters and walls.

Once again Shankman found himself in the hands of the police for coloring on the sidewalk in front of the recruiting office. Then some of his friends, upset that Shankman could no longer stay out to play, began to throw temper tantrums that resulted in their arrests as well.

It is disappointing to see individuals commit themselves to a cause, publicly stand up for it and then proceed to behave in such a way that no one will take them seriously.

It is not a one-time incident either. During the protest for a new adviser for the Latino/Latin American Studies Center the sign-waving, slogan-chanting protesters were out with their colored chalk in hand, writing on the ground and walls inside the Holmes Student Center elevator lobby.

What goal is this childlike behavior supposed to achieve? If these students want university administrators and other governmental leaders to take them seriously, then why do they insist on continuing to lower themselves to such behavior?

As long as NIU’s protesters continue to act like children, they will be treated as such by the individuals they are trying to impress with their ideas, and by the peers from whom they are desiring support.

Let’s hope when vital issues such as proposed budget cuts come up in the state legislature some people will refrain from sitting in the middle of the street to have a temper tantrum because they aren’t allowed to draw with colored chalk on the steps of the state capitol.