Redistrict Senate

I’ve recently been informed of a major potential problem in our SA’s Senate. As of Feb. 1, 1988, at least 25 of the 48 Senate seats are held by members of the Greek community. This means that the approximately 10 percent of NIU students who make up the fraternity and sorority systems hold a majority vote in the actions of the student government at NIU.

Among the actions of student government are: the allocation of approximately $650,000 to NIU groups and organizations, the approval of presidential appointees to university committees and the preservation of students’ rights. By controlling the majority of the Senate, the small Greek community can control the actions of the entire student government.

We have to ask ourselves, is every faction of the university community getting its fair say when a group which represents a mere 10 percent of the university population holds a majority vote in student government? I don’t think so. One may not feel that this group—the Greeks—is currently taking advantage of this power over the NIU community, but if this cornering of the Senate continues to grow as it has over the last several years, any action not benefitting the Greek system could be rejected.

I feel that the system of electing Student Association Senators needs to be looked at, and that a redistricting needs to be considered, so all students on this campus can be equally represented in student government.

Joe Insley

sophomore

computer graphics