Inaccurate quotes

I continue to be impressed by (The Northern Star’s) current and recent policy of conscientiously covering Board of Regents meetings so that you may adequately and accurately inform NIU students, faculty and staff and other interested readers about policy issues of importance to them.

It is also gratifying to see the zeal and enthusiasm expressed by the student reporters who cover board meetings. However, the report of the Dec. 2 Student Affairs Committee meeting reported in the Dec. 3 issue of the Northern Star was not quite up to the standard I have come to expect.

First, the study that is referred to in the article entitled “NIU’s minority graduates decrease,” does not indicate a decrease in minority freshman enrollment; rather, the study indicates an abysmal record in retaining minority students, both male and female.

Secondly, I did not say that my main concern was the sharp decrease in the number of black males graduating; rather I indicated a deep concern about the fact that black students, male and female, were not being retained in and graduated from our institutions, and further, that the ratio of black males to black females admitted as entering freshmen was inexcusable: 37 percent compared to 63 percent as regular admits and 21 percent compared to 79 percent of special admits—CHANCE, respectively.

Discussion ensued. Indeed, many reasons—excuses—were given, and it was in that context that I indicated that 37 percent, not 30 percent, of NIU’s starting football team was black—a recognition that someone knows how to recruit black males, despite protestations to the contrary.

Finally, and more seriously flawed, was the statement, “Fitzpatrick said she did not agree with the funding of NIU’s special admissions program, CHANCE.” The statement that I in fact made was one that I have been making for longer than I care to remember, and I have made this statement as an active supporter and evaluator of special programs for minority students. I said I believed that any funded program should be closely monitored in order to determine its effectiveness toward meeting the twin goals of retention and graduation, and if the program does not meet these goals, funds should be discontinued.

I continue to stand by this statement and will, in the next session of the Illinois General Assembly, encourage legislation to this effect.

Clara S. Fitzpatrick

Member

Illinois Board of Regents