Law students make tax filing easier

By Tammy Sholer

Students confused about how to fill out tax returns will be able to find help at NIU’s College of Law starting Monday.

The tax return assistance is being sponsored by the law fraternity, Delta Theta Phi, through the law school as a public service so students can send in their income taxes by the April 15 deadline, said NIU law student Dee Frangos.

Volunteering law students were trained by ZITA, a volunteer income tax training association, to help students with the complicated tax forms, she said.

There will be tables set up on April 6, 7 and 8 from 8 a.m. to noon at the east end of Roy Rogers Cafeteria, located in the Holmes Student Center, Frangos said. This is the only free time the volunteers had in common, she said.

How organized each student is with the required information will determine how long it will take to complete the forms, she said.

Another time factor depends on the type of form used. If students want the easy form, 1040EZ, there is only a small amount of writing and only would take about 10 minutes to fill out. There also is the 1040, which is the longer form, she said.

This is the second year law students are volunteering their time for this service, Frangos said. Last year students helped DeKalb’s elderly, but discovered there was not a demand this year because families help the elderly with their returns, she said.

Before the law school began this service, the accounting school performed the task. Frangos said she was not sure of the exact reason why the accounting school stopped the service.