Three resolutions for college students

By Sarah Fischer

As 2018 comes to a close, many students are beginning to list their resolutions for the new year and motivation is high, although several resolutions rarely make it past the first couple months of the year.

Students are among the many who plan to better themselves in the new year, but with the responsibilities of work, school and trying to keep a social life, the motivation and organization can be easily lost.

One of the best ways to ensure success in the upcoming academic year is to create various plans, whether they’re kept in written or mental form, and getting into the habit of following them. To avoid overload, students can begin with these three plans for the new year:

Work on a Study Plan

Before the semester begins, having an organized study plan is a great way to establish student success early on.

Many students begin the semester with motivation and a set plan for studies, but they remain inconsistent throughout the year and their grades suffer as a result.

A study plan should involve creating methods of studying for tests, such as note cards, but every student requires a different method of studying.  

Part of a study plan should also include keeping a planner where you can physically write down homework assignments and tests, and keeping track of which assignments have been submitted and which have not. Writing down your assignments will help reinforce your memory so none of them get forgotten or left out.

A study plan should also involve a weekly reflection of progress in class, including grade progress and making note of upcoming assignments and submissions.

Students should also remember to utilize tutoring centers if needed and periodically meet with counselors to ensure they’re on the right track.

Make a Budget Plan

Whether living in dorms or off-campus apartments, money management is a constant issue students have to deal with on a daily basis, and having money problems can certainly affect a student’s ability to focus in school.

Creating a budget can be easy as long as students are diligent about staying on a routine. There are many physical planners that can help keep track of a budget plan, but there are also free mobile apps that can help as well, such as EveryDollar and Clarity Money, found in mobile stores.

Another great way to keep track of more minimal spending is to keep separate envelopes of cash designated for certain spending opportunities such as the occasional takeout, grocery shopping and other small payments. Cash is easier to keep track of and keeps one more accountable of spending.

Create a Nutrition Plan

A nutrition plan might be the last thing on students’ minds, but it could prove to be one of the most important factors of a successful semester.

A nutrition plan can include anything from healthy meals, a set meal plan, an exercise plan or a combination of the three. However, for students who decide to design their nutrition plan, the most important aspect of it must include the three main meals: breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Creating a routine of three square meals a day will promote healthy focus in school and it can be done even within the busy schedule of the average student through meal preparations and proper planning.

Many students skip meals through the day, which can lead to binge eating in the evening or purchasing food on the go for convenience which, in turn, will throw a wrench in the budget.

A good meal alternative for busy students living in apartments includes cooking slow cooker meals that yield extra helpings. Slow cooker meals cook throughout the day or overnight without supervision and the extras can be stored away as leftovers for the rest of the week.

Breakfast, lunch and dinner recipes can all be cooked in a slow cooker, and it will ensure one gets the proper amount of food throughout the day to retain focus and energy.