Ortega deserving of MAC award

By Zac Camacho

It’s not easy for a 19-year-old student-athlete to make the transition of transferring schools and having to adapt to a new team and home ,and a stress fracture in his right femur couldn’t have made the process any easier for Kristopher Ortega, redshirt freshman tennis player.

Ortega has turned a tough transitional year into a season where he deserves to win Mid-American Conference Player of the Year.

Ortega posted a 7-5 singles record in the fall, mostly competing at the No. 3 and 4 slots. It’s an impressive season for a transfer redshirt freshman with little experience coming off an injury.

Ortega spent his first year of college at the University of Illinois but did not receive a lot of playing time, Ortega leaving after one year and transferring to NIU.

“Even if I didn’t redshirt, I probably would have started four or five times,” Ortega said. “Same thing this year — if I would have stayed there, I probably would have gotten the same amount.”

Ortega opened the spring season at the No. 4 with a 6-2, 7-6 loss at Drake University. He went on to win several matches and rose to the No. 2 slot in the process.

Due to a back injury to senior Eric Marbach, who normally occupies the No. 1 slot, Ortega jumped into the top spot for the Huskies Feb 11.

“It was the greatest feeling,” Ortega said. “I felt like I had a lot of responsibility now that I’m at the top spot.”

His first game at the No. 1 spot came against Marquette University Feb. 11. The match went unfinished in a shutout loss against Marquette University.

Ortega earned his first win at the top slot the following week against Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis in a 6-2, 6-0 victory on Feb 18.

Prior to conference play starting, Ortega shared the team lead in wins with senior Tom Hjertonsson earning nine wins each.

Although Marbach returned from his injury just as conference play began, Ortega’s excellent play kept him at the No. 1 slot.

Not one freshman in the MAC had a season like Ortega, and his team had a solid season because of his play with a 15-8 overall record.

Freshman Bryce Bonin of Ball State University is Ortega’s biggest competition for the award, as he leads all freshman in the MAC for singles wins.

Ortega finished spring with a 14-7 singles record and led his team to a 15-6 record, good for second in the MAC with one game remaining.

“He’s been excellent,” said Head Coach Patrick Fisher. “He’s stepped up in a big way.”

Winning needs to be rewarded, and Ortega led his team to another successful season, excelling in both singles and doubles events.

Ortega is more than deserving of the MAC Freshman of the Year award than any other player in the conference. There’s not another freshman who means the same to its team as Ortega means to the Huskies. He deserves to be awarded for his leadership and contributions.