Huskies take third consecutive match

Huskies take third consecutive match

By Zac Camacho

DeKalb — The men’s tennis team picked up its 15th win of the season Friday by defeating the University of Toledo 5-2.

The win marks the Huskies’ third consecutive victory, but the match came with its fifth straight doubles point loss.

“Our struggles were still our struggles,” said Head Coach Patrick Fisher.

Senior Eric Marbach and redshirt freshman Kristopher Ortega fell 7-5 to junior Luka Vitosevic and sophomore Danilo Vukotic at the No. 1.

At the No. 2, senior Georg Lundkvist and sophomore Bor Schweiger Muzar got the only doubles match win for NIU with a 7-6 win against junior Vince Anzalone and sophomore Thawin Suksathaporn.

The Rockets sealed the doubles point whenseniors Louis-Philippe Hamel and Tom Hjertonsson lost the first doubles match 6-3 at the No. 3 to juniors Serjen Olmedo and Juan Carranza.

The doubles point loss was the sixth loss of the last seven doubles points.

The Huskies found success in singles as they made a come from behind victory for the third week in a row.

Hjertonsson earned his 12th win of the season shutting out freshman Nikola Arsic at the No. 6 in two sets 6-0, 6-0 to tie the match.

In the No. 1 slot, Ortega picked up his team-leading 13th win and gave NIU the lead in a 6-2, 6-1 win over Anzalone.

Marbach brought the Huskies one win away from clinching the match with a 6-3, 6-2 win at the No. 2 against Vitosevic.

“Our seniors are really playing at a high level,” Fisher said. “They are doing a great job. They are leading by example, and I am pleased with that.”

The Huskies claimed their fifth Mid-American Conference win, thanks to Hamel at the No. 3 defeating Vukotic 6-3, 6-4.

With the match decided, the remaining two singles matches went to a third-set super tiebreaker.

Muzar was the lone Huskie to lose in singles 4-6, 7-6, 10-5 to junior Reid Teatsorth.

In the final singles match, Lundkvist earned his 11th win this season taking Olmedo down at the No. 4 6-7, 6-4, 12-10.

The win keeps the Huskies perfect home record alive at 9-0. They will have another test against the University at Buffalo 1 p.m. Friday in DeKalb at the Chick Evans Field House.