Men’s tennis falls to Western Michigan, ends winning streak at 9

Tim Dodge
Freshman Saul Berdullas throws up a serve against Omaha on March 2. Berdullas was the lone Huskie to win a singles match in a 5-2 loss to Western Michigan University. (Norther Star File Photo)

Losing to Western Michigan University (10-3, 2-0 MAC), NIU men’s tennis’ (11-3, 1-1 MAC) winning streak has ended at nine matches. 

The Huskies won two matches to clinch the doubles point, before losing all but one of the singles matches. 

Seniors Cheng En Tsai and Mikael Vollbach fought for a 6-4 win against Western Michigan senior Jackson Boone and junior Anton Arzhankin. Sophomores Iker Gaztambide Arrastia and Christopher Norlin controlled their match against senior Ferdinand Schlueter and freshman Adrian Quiros by a score of 6-1. 

Senior Armin Koschtojan and freshman Saul Berdullas lost their match 6-2 against senior Benjamin George and freshman Drew Evans. 

Berdullas was the only Huskie to win a singles match when he defeated freshman Ashton Adesoro in 6-2, 6-4 sets. 

Tsai was bested by Arzhankin in 6-4, 6-0 sets. After dropping the first set in a 7-5 loss against Boone, Gaztambide Arrastia only won one game in the 6-1 second set. Vollbach was handed the loss by George in 6-3, 6-2 sets.

Koschtojan also lost a close 7-5 first set to freshman Matej Kajzer before losing a 6-4 second set. Norlin was defeated in 6-4, 6-3 sets to freshman Dimitri Moriarty.

The Huskies look to get back in the win column at 2 p.m. Friday when they return home to the Nelson Tennis Center at Chick Evans Field House to face Judson University in a break from conference play.