Softball goes 3-1 over weekend

Softball goes 3-1 over weekend

By Khobi Price

DeKALB — The softball team won three of its four games Friday and Saturday in the Hoosier Classic in Bloomington, Indiana.

“Obviously going 3-1 is a big swing for us,” said Head Coach Christina Sutcliffe. “Hopefully we can continue it into the week.”

Friday morning — Huskies 4, Flames 2

NIU opened the tournament with a 4-2 victory vs. the University of Illinois-Chicago Flames. The Huskies struck first in the top of the second inning when senior shortstop Alaynie Woollard stole home off a throwing error by the Flames to give NIU a 1-0 advantage.

UIC responded in the second inning and took a 2-1 lead after its two-run triple. NIU regained momentum in the fifth inning when junior outfielder Katie Lamich scored off a RBI single by junior second basemen Dominique Greeno, which tied the contest at 2-2.

The Huskies shortly reclaimed the lead after sophomore outfielder Kayla Scaperrotta reached base off a fielder’s choice and brought in junior outfielder Jenny Van Geertry. NIU scored the final run of the game when Greeno and sophomore Kalalaelisa Toomalatai, who pinch-ran for Scaperrotta, executed a double steal. Greeno scored to give the Huskies a two-run lead and the eventual victory.

“It’s kind of a play-in softball when you have first and third, you’re trying to steal second and depending on how the defense plays it, then you’re going to try to steal home,” Sutcliffe said. “We actually executed it twice perfectly offensively and once defensively against UIC. It worked in our favor for sure.”

Friday morning — Huskies 5, Phoenix 2

The Huskies won consecutive games for the first time this season with a 5-2 victory over the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay Phoenix.

NIU scored the first run of the game in the top of the first inning after junior first baseman Sam Schmidt brought Scaperrotta home with a RBI triple. Green Bay tied the contest 1-1 in the bottom of the first with an RBI single.

The Huskies quickly regained the lead in the top of the second inning when Lamich’s single led to a Green Bay throwing error that allowed sophomore catcher Anne Allen to score. NIU extended its lead to 3-1 when Van Geertry hit an RBI double that allowed Lamich to score.

The Phoenix reduced the Huskies’ lead to one with a RBI double in the bottom of the fifth inning. Scaperrota provided NIU with insurance runs in the top of the sixth inning with a two RBI triple. Van Geertry and junior outfielder Jessica Rio scored the runs to propel the Huskies to a three-run win.

“Scaperrota definitely had a great spring break, no doubt about it,” Sutcliffe said. “She’s just kind of been consistent for us. Honestly, our 1 through five is doing really good job right now and producing.”

Saturday morning — Flames 1, Huskies 0

NIU fell to the Flames 1-0 in extra innings. The game was a defensive back-and-forth game. Freshman pitcher Mackenzie Bryan tallied three strikeouts and only allowed one hit through the opening five innings. Each team left eight people on base as the game was scoreless through the first eight innings.

Illinois scored the lone run of the game off an RBI single in the top of the ninth inning. Junior first basemen Abby Howlett reached first base off a throwing error by the Flames with one out in the bottom of the ninth. However, Lamich grounded out into a double play for the Huskies lone loss of the tournament.

Saturday morning — Huskies 10, Phoenix 2

NIU concluded the tournament with a 10-2 victory vs. Green Bay. The 10 runs is a season high for the Huskies.

The Huskies brought the offensive firepower early on, as they scored in the first five innings of the game. Van Geertry hit a triple in the Huskies’ first at bat of the contest in the bottom of the first inning. NIU opened the scoring for the game in the next at bat when Greeno hit a sacrifice fly to bring Van Geertry home.

NIU extended its lead to two runs in the second inning when senior third basemen Bekah Harnish scored off a RBI single by Lamich. The Huskies added some run support in the bottom of the third inning, as Schmidt, Scaperrotta and Greeno scored off a grand slam from Woollard. The Phoenix scored their lone runs of the game in the fourth inning off a two RBI single.

Howlett scored off an RBI double by Van Geertry in the bottom of the the fourth inning. Van Geertry and Greeno scored off a wild pitches later in the inning. NIU scored its final run of the game in the fifth inning when Lamich scored off an RBI double by Van Geertry to increase the Huskies’ lead to eight runs.

“[Van Geertry] was definitely a spark plug in the one spot for us and got things going.” Sutcliffe said.

NIU will return to action against the Loyola University Ramblers 2 p.m. Wednesday in Chicago.