Track and Field continues strong season

By Jayce Eustice

DeKALB — Another meet, another broken record for junior jumper Jehvania Whyte, as she jumped 12.74 meters in the triple jump Saturday at the Meyo Invitational. She broke her own school record for the fourth consecutive week.

The Huskies faced off against top talent from the Atlantic Coast Conference, as well as Mid-American Conference, Friday and Saturday.

Whyte auto-qualified for the Mid-American Conference Championships, joining her teammate senior distance runner Lorena Martin, who set a personal record running a 2:11.9 in the 800-meter.

Head Coach Connie Teaberry spoke on Whyte’s success this season and her journey coming to the United States from Jamaica.

“It was a learning process, coming into America from being in a different country to now being comfortable in your own shoes.” Teaberry said. “Now you want to fill those shoes with great things.”

Freshman distance runner Ashley Tutt was not in attendance at Notre Dame as her team traveled to the Meyo Invitational. Instead, she opted for warmer Florida to compete in USA Track and Field’s Under-20 Women’s Cross Country Championship. Tutt won the 6K event with a time of 21:08.5, and she will represent the United States at the 2018 NACAC Under-20 Cross Country Championship in El Salvador.

Teaberry said she was happy for Tutt to be able to represent NIU and the United States.

“This is a great opportunity for her to represent the U.S.,” Teaberry said. “Not only did she go out there and compete, she won. She’s a fearless competitor.”

Several Huskies were able to record indoor personal records over the weekend, including senior sprinter Doshawn Franks in the 400-meter at 56.34, sophomore runner NeShay Curtis in the 600-meter with a time of 1:37.79 and freshman distance runner Mackenzie Callahan in the mile with a time of 5:03.85.

NIU senior jumper Chennel Palmer, the MAC high jump leader, finished third in the high jump with a score of 1.74 meters after a jump-off to decide placement.

Sophomore hurdler Remy Amarteifio continued her season with a seventh place finish in the 60-meter hurdles with a time of 8.68 seconds.

Teaberry said the focus is now on the MAC Championships, which is right around the corner.

“We got to keep believing in ourselves,” Teaberry said. “Sometimes what you’re feeling and what your body’s going through is part of the plan.”

The Huskies will turn their attention to a meet Saturday at Grand Valley State University in Allendale, Michigan.