Jumper Jehvania Whyte lands MAC champion

By Jayce Eustice

Junior jumper Jehvania Whyte was a force to be reckoned with in her events, while the track and field team took seventh place Saturday in the Mid-American Conference Indoor Championships.

Whyte won the triple jump with a jump of 13.13 meters, setting her own personal and school record for the fifth time this season, while also breaking the MAC Championship record. She tied the MAC triple jump record and tied the MAC triple jump champion. Whyte took home the Mid-American Conference Most Outstanding Female Field Performer of the Year award for her strong showing.

Whyte also took sixth in the long jump with a distance of 5.83 meters to better her school record.

Head Coach Connie Teaberry said Whyte has worked hard to accomplish everything she’s done this year.

“Our conference in the field events is really tough,” Teaberry said. “We have some field athletes who have been performing out of this world. She was actually able to beat those girls in her field, but she had to break a MAC record to do it. She just steps up to the plate and has a lot more in her as well.”

Freshman distance runner Ashley Tutt continued to impress, as she placed fifth in the 3000-meter run with a time of 9:42.67. Tutt also placed eighth in the 5000-meter run with a time of 17:07.90. Her performance earned her the honor of MAC Track Female Freshman Indoor Track Performer of the Year by scoring the most points by a freshman.

Teaberry said Tutt is very dedicated to her training, and the results are beginning to show.

“She’s just a big competitor,” Teaberry said. “She bought right in to the cross country program.”

Senior distance runner Lorena Martin scored for NIU with a fifth place finish in the 800-meter run with a time of 2:13.86.

Sophomore hurdler Remy Amarteifio earned a scoring position with a fourth place finish in the 60-meter hurdles with a time of 8.49 seconds.

Amarteifio was also part of the trio of Huskies to place in the 60-meter dash. Senior sprinter Kedisha Dallas took fifth place with a time of 7.59 seconds, followed by Amarteifio taking seventh with a time of 7.65 seconds. Freshman sprinter Courtney Sockwell finished eighth with a time of 7.71 seconds.

Senior jumper Chennel Palmer placed fourth in the high jump with a jump of 1.67 meters.

Teaberry said her team had a good performance this weekend at MAC Championships but are always hungry for more.

“I feel like they handled it pretty well, but I’m never satisfied,” Teaberry said. “It’s great to see what all the girls can do, but we aren’t settling for what we did today.”

With the indoor season finished, the Huskies will have a short break from competition. The first match of the outdoor track season will be March 24 in Arlington, Texas, against the University of Texas-Arlington Broncos.