Baller Breakdown: Abby Woollacott

By Ryan Ostry

Name: Abby Woollacott

Hometown: Rockford, Illinois

Favorite Sports Team: Chicago Cubs

Interesting fact: Sister has same birthday, three years younger

Athlete idol/role model: Kerri Walsh

Court Strengths: Rebounding

“Being strong offensively and defensively, crashing the boards and getting extra possessions for the team are my strong suits I would say,” Woollacott said.

Court Weaknesses: Scoring

“It’s definitely not what I’m looking to do when I go in the game,” Woollacott said.

Favorite teammate: Paulina Castro

“We live together and came in together as freshmen,” Woollacott said. “We’ve been through a lot together; we’re always just really close.”

Pre-game rituals: Starbucks

“I go to Starbucks with Paulina before every home game,” Woollacott said. “We definitely get energized.”

Why you enjoy playing for NIU: Family atmosphere

“Our whole team is a family,” Woollacott said. “I love everybody I play with. I love going to practice to see my best friends and coaches.”

Woollacott has seen her minutes elevate as of late, as the injury bug has plagued the Huskies’ roster this season.

The sophomore out of Rockford is averaging three points per contest and just over two rebounds per game.

NIU got a monumental lift from the young forward in its most recent game Saturday against the Bowling Green State University Falcons, as Woollacott accumulated a career high in points with 19, while shooting at almost 73 percent from the field in just 19 minutes of play.

“They left me down in the paint, and [our] guards did a really good job of finding the open player,” Woollacott said. “I don’t think that I really created any of my shots, the guards did that for me, so just being in the right position at the right time.”

Head Coach Lisa Carlsen said she recognizes her sophomore’s presence and understands her game time experience from last year has made her more comfortable this year.

“She is someone who, as a freshman, had the opportunity to get on the floor,” Carlsen said. “You can not replicate game minutes, so Abby was able to get on the floor in some key situations during this year, which is great for her growth at the center position.”

The Huskies will look to take down MAC rival Ball State Cardinals 1 p.m. Saturday at the Convocation Center.