Men’s tennis continues solid play

By Zac Camacho

DeKALB — The men’s tennis team ended its five-match winning streak Saturday against Cleveland State University in a 4-3 loss at the Medical Mutual Tennis Pavilion in Cleveland.

They bounced back in the afternoon with a 5-2 win over Case Western Reserve University.

“We didn’t finish,” said Head Coach Patrick Fisher. “We did everything but win, and it was kind of disappointing.”

Saturday Morning — Cleveland State University

The Huskies dropped the doubles point after losing both double matches at the No. 1 and No. 3.

Senior Eric Marbach and redshirt freshmen Kristopher Ortega lost to Cleveland’s Senior Mirko Radosevic and junior Benjamin Slade 7-6 and 7-5.

At No. 3, seniors Tom Hjertonsson and Louis-Philippe Hamel suffered their first loss together in doubles to Cleveland’s junior William Malm and freshman Luke Phillips 6-4.

Senior George Lundkvist and sophomore Bor Schweiger Muzar improved their doubles record to 5-1 on the season after beating sophomore Nico Mostardi and freshman Matthew Terry from Cleveland State 6-2.

The doubles point turned out to be the deciding factor in the match as the singles split 3-3.

Marbach lost at the No. 1 to Mostardi 7-5, 6-1. Ortega improved to 6-1 on the year at the No. 2 overcoming Terry 4-6, 6-2, 11-9.

At No. 3, Lundkvist had the edge on Phillips 7-6, 9-7, 6-4, earning his fifth win of the season.

Hjertonsson and freshmen Victor Spolidorio suffered their first singles loss of the year and the No. 4 and No. 6.

Hamel improved his singles record to 4-1 with a 6-3, 6-2 win over Cleveland’s Radosevic at the No. 5.

Despite a loss from Spoliorio, he and Ortega hold the best singles match record for the Huskies this season. Ortega leads the way at 6-1 and Spoliorio follows at 5-1 on the year.

“Coming in as freshmen we knew they were going to play a big part of our team,” Fisher said.

Saturday Afternoon – Case Western Reserve University

NIU bounced back in the afternoon with a 5-2 win over Case Western.

Marbach and Ortega claimed their fifth doubles win at the No. 1 together, beating senior James Fojtasek and sophomore Anthony Kanam 6-3.

Muzar and Lundkvist shut out Case Westerns sophomore Sam Cancannon and freshmen Mathew Chen 6-0 at the No. 2 earning their, team leading, sixth doubles win of the season and securing the doubles match point for the Huskies.

Hjertonsson and junior Erich Schuette lost 7-6 in the final doubles match to sophomore Zach Hennessey and freshmen Niel Mabee.

In singles, Marbach beat Fojtasek at the No. 6-1, 6-3. Ortega fell at the No. 2 to Chen 4-6, 6-4, 6-4. Muzar took down junior Rob Stroup at the No. 3 4-6, 6-3, 6-3 and Lundkvist beat Kanam 6-2, 6-3 at the No. 4 earning his fourth singles win on the year.

Hjertonson also earned his fourth singles win this season outlasting freshmen Earl Hsieh 6-4, 7-6 at the No. 5. Shuette lost at the No. 6 in his second singles match this season to Case Western freshmen Henry Squire 6-1, 6-2.

The Huskies will be on the road against University of Wisconsin-Green Bay 12 p.m. Saturday and Marquette University 2 p.m. Sunday in Milwaukee.

“It’s going to be a tough weekend,” Fisher said, “Our guys are going to have to really make an effort to really focus and take a step forward next week.”