Track and Field takes fifth at Notre Dame

By Jayce Eustice

DeKalb — The Track and Field team continued its season Saturday at the Notre Dame Invitational, where they competed against six other schools.

“Two weeks into practice now after the break, and things are starting to click again,” Head Coach Connie Teaberry said. “Sometimes it’s just about having another body next to you to compete against, whether you’re all out running or jumping, it makes for a lot better performances.”

Teaberry said with another week of practice under their belts, the team will look to transition its focus on executing the little things.

Despite traveling shorthanded with only 22 girls, the team was able to record 14 personal records.

“We still have a long ways to go, but we are definitely seeing the returns quicker than we thought we would,” Teaberry said.

Junior jumper Jehvania Whyte set two new school records with a 12.48-meter triple jump and a 5.81-meter long jump.

Whyte, along with freshman runner Ashley Tutt and sophomore hurdler Remy Amarteifio, all recorded times to qualify for the Mid-American Conference Championship.

Senior sprinter Kedisha Dallas continued her solid start to the season, as she placed third with a time of 7.57 qualifying her for finals.

In the women’s high jump, senior jumper Chennel Palmer placed second with a jump of 1.71 meters.

Senior runner Doshawn Franks finished third in the 400-meter dash with a time of 56.53.

Teaberry also said she is impressed with the team’s youth.

“The freshmen — that’s our bread and butter right now. We’re young, but they are trying to hang with the upperclassmen,” Teaberry said. “When you have young athletes that want to be out there and want to be competitive, then that’s the future of a program.”

The freshmen have received high praise, and the results show with their improved times. Freshman distance runner Mackenzie Callahan set a new personal record in the mile at 5:08.59, and freshman distance runner Noelle Maire set her new personal record in the 3,000-meter run with a 10:32.75.

“We still got some fine tuning to do, and when you say fine tuning you know it doesn’t happen overnight,” Teaberry said.

NIU will continue its season Saturday as it will travel to Iowa City.