Wrestling set for new season

Sophomore Brock Hudkins faces his opponent in the Red/Black Dual Friday. The Huskies will begin the season 9 a.m. Saturday at the Iowa State Open.

By Rick Green

DeKalb — After an 8-8 season in 2016, the wrestling team will open its season Saturday at Iowa State University for the Iowa State Open.

Head Coach Ryan Ludwig is entering his seventh season, and he hopes to follow the trail of success over the last few season and see improvement from everyone.

Ludwig said the team has been improving every year in finding scoring opportunities and executing them. He also praised the team’s performance at the Red and Black Dual, a practice event where teammates face off against each other.

“The team was really confident out there going against each other [in the dual], even with the familiarity of each other,” Ludwig said.

Ludwig looks forward to seeing the team compete every time they’re on the mat. He said the team has continuously improved year after year and will look to win the Mid-American Conference this season.

Sophomore Brock Hudkins won against freshman Bryce West 11-3 in the dual. Hudkins finished 21-11 in 2016. He captured third place at the MAC Championships and qualified for the NCAA Championships last season.

Hudkins looks forward to the upcoming season and wants to be at the top of his game all season long.

“Confidence is my biggest improvement from last season to now,” Hudkins said. “I’m going to go out every time and gain as many points as I can for the team.”

The Huskies are well-rounded in the weight classes, ranging from 125 pounds to 285 pounds. The 174-pound match Friday between senior Quinton Rosser and redshirt sophomore Michael Aldrich resulted in Rosser winning the match 4-3.

“This was the match that everyone wanted to see,” Ludwig said. “Both guys are talented and should be a threat in the MAC.”

Rosser is coming off a season where he finished 14-5. Improving from his first two seasons, Rosser looks to continue improving his mechanics and winning more.

Aldrich was 6-9 last season. Aldrich will look to improve this year and help the team this season positively.

Redshirt junior Bryce Gorman and freshman Will Feldkamp faced off in the 184-pound match. Gorman defeated Feldkamp 16-4.

Gorman is coming off a season where he finished 16-15 after missing the 2015-2016 season.

Ludwig is happy with the team’s training and progress and looks forward to the season beginning.

“They gave the crowd a great show,” Ludwig said. “There was some scoring going on, [and] we were happy with it.”

The Huskies will be back in action 9 a.m Saturday, as they open their season in Ames, Iowa for the Iowa State Open Tournament.