Resident hospitalized after apartment fire

By Northern Star staff

DeKALB — A resident was injured and a cat died when an apartment fire broke out on Ninth Street Sunday.

It took 15 minutes for the DeKalb, Sycamore and Cortland Fire Departments to control the situation at 116 N. Ninth St., but the fire created $100,000 in damages, according to a Nov. 26 DeKalb Fire Department press release.

The injured resident was transported to Kishwaukee Hospital, 1 Kish Hospital Drive, with not life-threatening injuries. Six cats and one dog were rescued from the building and treated at the scene.

The origin of the accidental fire, which was determined to have started because of careless use of smoking materials, was located in the bathroom of the apartment

The building was vented of smoke and dangerous gases. Firefighters performed overhaul of the affected area to check for fire extension. Occupants are being assisted by the American Red Cross and property management.