Wrestling excels in Eastern Michigan Open

By Rick Green

DeKALB — Three Huskies finished in the top-two of their respective weight classes Saturday when the team traveled to Ypsilanti, Michigan for its second match of the season at the Eastern Michigan Open.

“It was a great step forward; our mindset was positive, and we were very sharp,” Head Coach Ryan Ludwig said. “We competed throughout the whole open, the competition was very deep, and we were executing.”

Freshman Brit Wilson defeated Austin Clayton of the Arizona State University Sun Devils by fall in the freshman and sophomore 174-pound open to advance to the quarterfinal.

Wilson defeated Jack Marsh of the Eastern Michigan Eagles by fall to advance to the semifinal and defeated Jacob Oliver of the Edinboro University Fighting Scots by tech fall to advance to the first place match. Wilson defeated Anthony Falbo of the Purdue University Boilermakers by decision and placed first, scoring 19.50 team points.

“[Brit] Wilson is really coming into the season fighting, two weeks in a row with first place,” Ludwig said. “He’s been huge for us this season.”

Sophomore Brock Hudkins finished second and scored 12 team points in the 125-pound open. Hudkins defeated Benny Gomez of the Muskegon Community College Jayhawks in the quarterfinal match and Josh Kramer of the Sun Devils in the semifinal to advance to the championship match. Hudkins fell to Drew Mattin of the University of Michigan Wolverines in the championship match.

“Brock has been great all year. Being the leader on the team, he holds himself accountable week in and week out.” Ludwig said.

Freshman Drew West placed second and scored 16 team points in the freshman and sophomore 125-pound open. West defeated Lucas Rodriguez of the Fighting Scots by decision to advance to the quarterfinal. West defeated Jake Ferri of the Kent State Golden Flashes by major decision and advanced to the semifinal. West defeated Brandy Koontz of the Ohio State University Buckeyes by fall to advance to the first place match, where he was defeated by Rayvon Foley of the Michigan State Spartans.

Redshirt junior Alijah Jeffery won the tie-breaker over Matt Santos of the Spartans in the 133-pound open. Jeffery advanced to the quarterfinal, defeating Deven Perez of the Central Michigan University Chippewas by major decision. Jeffery advanced to the semifinal where he lost to Korbin Myers of the Fighting Scots. Jeffery advanced to the third place match against Dresden Simon of the Chippewas, but Simon defeated Jeffery by decision, and Jeffery placed fourth and scored 10 team points.

Senior Quinton Rosser placed third and scored 12 team points in the 174-pound open. Rosser defeated Colton Carroll of the Cleveland State Vikings and advanced to the quarterfinal. Rosser defeated Drew Hughes of the Spartans by decision to advance to the semifinal, but Rosser was defeated by Caleb Stockmaster of the Vikings to stop his advancement to the championship.

“Rosser is getting better every week, he’s finding his stride,” Ludwig said. “He got quality wins for us and will continue to be one ofour big playmakers.”

The Huskies will be back in action 9 a.m. Saturday as they head to Saint Charles, Missouri for the Lindenwood Open.