Five Easy Ways to Relieve Stress

Five Easy Ways to Relieve Stress

Five Easy Ways to Relieve Stress

By Autumn Kilgus

Classes have been underway for four of weeks now. At the start of the new semester, students are excited to see their friends, favorite teachers and move back to DeKalb. However, the tests, quizzes and homework start to pile on, leaving everyone stressed and nervous about their grades. Stress relief is very important to be successful during the semester, so here are some easy and simple stress relievers.

Deep Breathing Exercises

Deep breathing exercises are a good way to relieve stress and plays a crucial role in yoga as well. Normally, beginners will breathe in for four counts and then breathe out for four counts. This slows your breathing and requires the brain to focus on breathing, rather than stress.

Yoga

Yoga combines mental and physical health. Some beginner poses include cow pose, downward-facing dog and child’s pose. Group fitness classes are offered on campus at Campus Recreation building once a week, every week. Another close location would be The House Cafe, 263 E Lincoln Hwy, every Tuesday at 6 pm. They offer Beer & Yoga for seven dollars; just don’t forget to bring your own mat!

Exercise

Exercising as a whole helps your overall health, not just stress. It doesn’t matter what kind of exercise it is. From sports, to running or walking and even swimming. All of those activities help to reduce stress and anxiety.

Balanced Diet

As crazy as it sounds, a balanced diet will help! Many people don’t even think about diet being a factory with stress. “Certain foods provide comfort and actually increase levels of hormones in the body that naturally fight stress,” according to Everyday Health. Some healthy meals that could help would be zucchini pasta, breakfast quinoa, grilled shrimp and roasted vegetables.

Get Enough Zzzs

Sleep schedules are crucial to help fight off the stress. It is known that days will run a little smoother if someone’s sleep schedule is in check.  Stress can still be present, but not as bad. Young adults between the ages of 18 and 25 should get 7-9 hours a night, according to the Sleep Foundation.

Don’t wait until stress and anxiety is running your life. Be aware of the resources on campus such as the Counseling & Consultation Services, located in Campus Life Building Room 200. You can give them a call at 815-753-1206 to schedule a consultation.

Let us know how you relieve stress during the school semester on our Twitter page @NIUNortherStar!