Freeman addresses NIU’s future

By Madison Kacer

Editor’s note: This report has been updated to include a complete quotation from acting President Lisa Freeman, which previously had a portion omitted. The quotation should be, 

“Diversity is at the core of our successful learning environment,” Freeman said. “No matter what your background is — whether you’re black, Latino, Asian American, white or an international student, or have a different belief system, regardless of gender identity or status — when we admit you to NIU, we accept you, and we welcome you.”

DeKALB — Acting President Lisa Freeman gave a state of the university address Wednesday to an auditorium filled with members of the NIU community.

In the address, Freeman acknowledged plans for the future of the university, as well as recent victories and shortcomings seen on and around campus.

Among the acclaimed victories was discussion of a potential three percent pay increase for qualified employees and graduate students, which brought audience members’ hands together in prolonged applause.

“Despite our budget difficulties, we cannot neglect our most important resource, our people, any longer,” Freeman said. “I’m pleased to say we are taking an important step to address this. I have asked our Board of Trustees to convene a special meeting on Oct. 19 where we will request a special three percent pay increase for eligible employees.”

Freeman also applauded the increase in freshman enrollment, law school enrollment and overall retention.

Before Freeman stepped on stage, a video was shown to the audience that featured diverse students discussing what NIU has done to make them feel included. In the midst of Freeman’s speech, she went on to discuss the progress the university is making with inclusion.

In hopes of increasing alumnae involvement at NIU, Freeman unveiled the Taste of Northern Illinois University. The initiative is intended to attract the roughly 7,000 alumnae who reside in the DeKalb area to campus, where volunteering opportunities, lectures and athletic events will be offered.

Freeman also addressed the potential merging of the HuskieLine bus system with DeKalb’s public transportation service, though the development is two years in the making. The project is available online and is in the public comment period, which will end Tuesday.

Also discussed were the campus’s numerous renovation projects, which include upgrades to the Stevens Building and the Holmes Student Center.

“Stevens Building was long time coming,” said Faculty Senate President Linda Sabario. “They’ve had that renovation going on for several years now, so it’s going to be an exciting day when we get to welcome the Anthropology Department back to campus and get the theatre arts folks back in there.”

Freeman announced that she will be donating $25,000 in scholarship funds to the university, the largest sum ever donated by an NIU president.

Emerson Sanders, second year law student, said he was pleased with the ideas Freeman discussed during her speech.

“Personally, I came here to hear not only where we stand as far as budgetary concerns go, but as far as what we are doing to help increase that diversity initiative across the board; really that was my main motivation to hear the address,” Sanders said. “I was pleased with how it went.”

Freeman described the university as smart, tough and relentless. She said increasing awareness about the university will help bring more attention to these qualities. “I think what we need to do is get our story out,” Freeman said. “We have an exceptional product — a wonderful educational experience. Our students are big fans of ours if you ask them how they like it here. We just need more effective channels for getting our story out.”