Comfort invades fashion trends

Throw on some sweatpants this spring for both comfort and style.

By Tatianna Salisbury

The weather is warming up, and the styles are getting hot. As students head into the spring season, there are several fashion trends emerging that are fun and adaptable to college life.

Dresses or bust

Dresses offer comfort and breathability that pants can’t match. As the weather gets warmer, dresses are the perfect addition to spring wardrobe for days when jeans aren’t wanted. This piece can be worn alone, paired with patterned tights or under a light cardigan. Sophomore communication major Alexandra Cednick said she wears dresses every chance she gets. “If I can avoid pants, I will,” Cednick said. “I hate the constriction.”

Statement T-shirts

T-shirts that display a word, phrase or opinion are perfect for people who don’t want to do all the talking. Graphic T-shirts are not a new trend but one that has proven the test of time. They are versatile, can be paired with anything and can be dressed up or down, depending on the occasion.

Athleisure

The main trend in spring fashion this year is comfort, and nothing is more comfortable than going to class in sweats. Athleisure is a trend that combines sporty and cute pieces to create looks that are wearable both in the gym and the classroom. An outfit that is not only functional, but incredibly stylish, is perfect for the college student who wants to hit the gym after class or enjoy a morning yoga class before a library study session.

Junior journalism major Lauren Clohessy said she loves the athleisure look for the comfort and style it provides.

“I’m loving the leggings with mesh cutouts at the moment,” Clohessy said. “Or the colorful, patterned legging trend.”

Extra-large purses

College students have a lot to carry with them from place to place, and extra-large purses and bags are a great way to carry everything you need. Huge purses can be carried by handles or a shoulder strap attached for easier wear. Bags with loud, colorful prints or solid, bright colors can be found at many local retailers.