Wrestler notches win No. 100

By Danielle Brown

Wrestler notches win No. 100

DeKALB — Redshirt senior Shawn Scott earned his 100th win as a Huskie Feb. 4 when he took down University at Buffalo’s Nate Rose in overtime for a 4-2 decision and is beginning to prepare for life after NIU.

The wrestler from Holly, Michigan made history by reaching this monumental milestone in his career. This accomplishment has Scott ranked No. 3 all-time in career wins for NIU wrestling. He ranks behind Scott Owen, alumnus of 2003, who has 116 wins and Pat Castillo, alumnus of 2008, with 108 wins.

Scott said he was unaware of how close he was to getting his 100th win.

“It kind of just happened,” Scott said. “Someone had brought it up: ‘You’re one match away from 100 wins,’ and I was like, ‘no way.’ ”

Simply wrestling 100 matches in college is a lot, let alone earning 100 wins. Scott said he knows how unheard of it is to wrestle that many times, so once he heard how close he was, it became a goal.

Scott said he did not realize what he had accomplished until the evening of Feb. 4 when the team was celebrating Senior Night at Fatty’s Pub & Grille, 1312 W. Lincoln Highway. Head Coach Ryan Ludwig announced Scott’s 100th career-win to everyone in the room, and it sunk in for Scott.

“I was a national qualifier, and that’s on the wall but to be in the actual record books, that’s a different story,” Scott said. “For me to know that’s going to be there for quite a while is because I know I’ll have something to look back on.”

Although Scott has accomplished big things, he’s not done yet. His next goal in his senior season as a Huskie is to become an All-American. Scott has not been a Mid-American Conference finalist yet, and he said that is something he wants before his career at NIU is done.

Scott said he enjoys wrestling as a Huskie for more than his moments on the mat — he enjoys the road trips and hanging around with teammates because they are a close team.

Scott opened up about his relationship with another student-athlete, Alex Elias, women’s soccer senior defender.

Scott said their relationship is perfect and most of their time is not spent talking about sports because it is something they keep between themselves. He said they both understand what each other is going through, and that is that.

“We’re competitors — a lot of competitors don’t talk about what they’re going through [mentally] in their sport,” Scott said. “They’ll talk about the success they’re having, but as far as bad, we try and keep that to a minimum.”

Too much talk about what is going on in their respective sports can bring the other down, and by not doing that, he said they are able to remain on a positive level.

“[The] time management aspect of our relationship is perfect,” Scott said. “[Elias is] always doing her schoolwork … I’m always doing my schoolwork … it’s very understanding. When we do come together, it’s perfect for us, honestly. I don’t think I’d have it any other way,” Scott said.

As a senior graduating in May, Scott said he has three options he is looking at: getting a master’s degree in sociology, law enforcement and social work or being probation officer.

Scott said he is not fully sure what he wants to do after graduation but said he would like to go home to Michigan because living there is free.

“It’s just a matter of what’s in the best interest for me and not NIU at this point,” Scott said. “I put my five years in, and I just want to move on; but if I don’t find opportunities, I will always have this opportunity here, and it’s nice to know,” Scott said.

Wrestling ended its regular season over the weekend, when Scott went 2-0 to move to 102 wins overall and crept closer to win No. 108.

As they head into the MAC Championships, Scott will continue to work hard to achieve his last goals of becoming a MAC finalist. The MAC Championships begin March 4 and go through March 5 in Cedar Falls, Iowa.

Win No. 97:

On Jan. 20, at the Convocation Center, No. 9 Scott defeated Eastern Michigan University’s redshirt sophomore, Derek Hillman by a 2-0 decision in the 197-pound weight class.

The win gave Scott a 16-3 record on the season.

Win No. 98: 

On Jan. 22, in Champaign, Scott and University of Illinois’ redshirt sophomore Andre Lee went into overtime before Scott defeated Lee in a sudden victory, which means Scott gained a point in less than a minute in the first overtime. 

Win No. 99:

On Jan. 27, in Kent, Ohio, No. 11 Scott fought his way back against Kent State junior, Stephen Suglio in a 2-1 decision that was decided by riding time — a result of controlling an opponent on the mat that prevents an escape or reversal. 

Win No. 100:

On Feb. 12, in front of the fans at the Convocation Center, No. 12 Scott defeated University at Buffalo’s redshirt freshman Nate Rose after a takedown in overtime, securing his 100th career win in a 4-2 decision. Scott now ranks third all-time in career wins.