Resource center gains SA support

By Julia Martinez

DeKALB | Asian American Resource Center officials plan to take their resolution for better resources and funding to the Board of Trustees after getting support from the Student Association.

The Asian American Resource Center was placed in what the members were told would be a temporary location, 429 Garden Road, 12 years ago when they were first founded and have yet to be placed elsewhere.

Michelle Bringas, Asian American Resource Center director, said the center exists to provide support to Asian American students and cultural education to the campus during a SA Senate meeting 5 p.m. Sunday in the Holmes Student Center, Sky Room.

The center reaches about 300 students through organizations it supports such as Alpha Phi Gamma, Asian American Association and Indian Student Association, according to a Oct. 27 Northern Star article.

“Part of the problem with the location now is that the space itself is not functional,” Bringas said. “The water is not drinkable and not 100 percent accessible.”

Program Prioritization gave the center’s members an opportunity to bring to discussion their needs, Bringas said.

Program Prioritization uses task forces to create reports that review 223 academic programs and 236 administrative programs to influence the allocation of university funds. The reports were based on narratives submitted by program leaders in November 2015, according to an April 26 Northern Star article.

“The resolution is more so to try to get everyone’s attention,” said Melanie Sandoval, SA director of Cultural Affairs. “This resolution does not necessarily [ask] that we’re going to get a new center tomorrow; it’s for us to show our support for our student body.”

The Asian American Resource Center began a renovation committee about three years ago to address the issues of the temporary location through fundraising and protests.

“I had no idea it was that bad because I had never stepped foot in the Asian American [Resource] Center,” said SA Senate Speaker Christine Wang. “This is something that will benefit our community is so many different ways.”